Slow...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Slow...

ingenium(Posted 2006) [#1]
I wanted to create a forest so I created a tree and by a type I drawed about 300 trees but when they were in front of the camera, the camera moved slowly... Where's the error?

big10p(Posted 2006) [#2]
How many polies is the tree? Did you use CopyEntity to create them?

ingenium(Posted 2006) [#3]
Double post

ingenium(Posted 2006) [#4]
I use copyentity but I don't know how many polies has the tree but I think a lot.... :)

big10p(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well, there's your problem. :)

You could try implementing a LOD system so that trees far away are low poly.

ingenium(Posted 2006) [#6]
...It must be a joke... I don't want an ugly forest but an high "definition" forest...

big10p(Posted 2006) [#7]
That's the point of LOD - trees far enough away and you can't tell the difference.

puki(Posted 2006) [#8]
Could have a look at this code - I've not bothered, I just knew it was in the archives:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=949

ingenium(Posted 2006) [#9]
Sincerly i don't know what is it a LOD... Can you explain???

puki(Posted 2006) [#10]
Level of Detail - you store more than one version of your tree in memory - 3 or 4 is normal - each one is a reduced poly-version of the previous.

So when they are far away - you show the lowest poly-version and increase them in steps as they get closer to the player/camera.

Andy(Posted 2006) [#11]
>...It must be a joke... I don't want an ugly forest but an
>high "definition" forest...

No computer can display a 'High Definition' world without slowing down. The key to 3D is to program the computer so that it *SEEMS* like it displays a 'High Definition' world.

LoD(Level of Detail) is a technique to display 3D which looks good, but has less tris for the GPU to render.

Andy

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#12]
Other techniques are to make a sprite from rendered images of distant trees, and have that sprite in the distance, this way your using 2 polys instead of thousands.

When you think that your computer is having to process and draw every vertex position for every polygon making up every tree, it's no wonder that it's going to have an impact on the speed of rendering.

Limiting the camera range or fogging will also lower the rendered count.

Make use of the TrisRendered command to keep an eye on the ideal limits for your system!

ingenium(Posted 2006) [#13]
Ok... I used trisrendered and i found out that each tree had about 50000 polies... so i created a new tree with 4000 polies (is it good?) and it looks like better than the first tree...

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#14]
I don't have much experience with this myself, but I've heard a lot of people around here say that 2000-4000 polys is good for a character close to the screen, and about 500 polys is good for a distant one.

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#15]
Well that's a whole factor of ten less detailed so it should speed up stuff a lot, Id still recommend not using so many actual meshes though.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#16]
Until the day comes that we are running 12.0 TeraHz multi-processor machines, we are going to be governed by computing power limitations. LOD, Camerafogging and Low-Poly counts are good techniques for technological limit workarounds.

Of course, taking things in perspective, here in the 21st century we have computing and graphics power levels only dreamed of in the early days of 20th century 8-bit processors and 16-color graphics, and we're bemoaning that we have "only" 4000 polys.
<Sigh>

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#17]

I used trisrendered and i found out that each tree had about 50000 polies...

That must be one beautiful tree!

It did make me think, are ALL the branches and individual leaves polygons? Practically every game I know of uses an arrangement of sprites, usually arranged in a star around the Y axis for the leaves.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#18]
500 poly are the max that is acceptable for a tree ... if you need more then you should consider replacing parts of the leaf sections with better textures that you for example could obtain through rendering that part of the tree.

As you perhaps saw on WoW screens etc, a forest which can be passed, is only possible with lowpoly trees with good texturing.

ANIMAL(Posted 2006) [#19]
GET MAX AND MAKE ALL THE TREES U NEED

big10p(Posted 2006) [#20]
STOP POSTING IN CAPITALS!!!!!! :/

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#21]
"MAX" costs too darn much money, if you are an individual buying for yourself and not a company making the purchase with deeper corporate pockets.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#22]
Try this tree creator:
www.melog.ch/dl/treecreator_mod_jfk_dec05.zip
with source.