B3D Newbie

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/B3D Newbie

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm a serious noob. I just started today. Playing around with the Rocket.3ds mesh, I have a problem. When I move it around the screen, the further it gets from the center of the screen, the more it seems to be angled away from the camera slightly. Any ideas?

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#2]
That's the idea. Take a pencil and move it in a straight line in front of your eyes. When it is to the left/right of center you can see the right/left of it. The same is true for the cameras.

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#3]
Ahh. Is there a way to prevent this without using 2D graphics? Some sort of CameraSpan or something?

Well, thanks for shedding some light.

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#4]
You could try rotating the entity as it moves from the camera, ie. turning it so the side/front/whatever is always facing the camera. You could also use sprites, which automatically face the camera, but are not 3d.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#5]
Possibly CameraMode?
Like orthographic?

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#6]
Increasing the camerazoom to about 1.5 gets rid of this fish-eye effect if that's what you mean. The more you zoom the less the field of vision.

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#7]
Maybe I should just use sprites. Are sprites automatically rendered with RenderWorld? I have a feeling they aren't, so I would probably have to draw them after RenderWorld, right?

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#8]
Sprites are 3d entities so will update automatically on renderworld.

Stevie

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#9]
If you're planning on making a 2D game, you can use the 2D Graphics commands with "Images" and draw straight to the buffer in pixel coords without needing a camera.

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#10]
move the camera with the rocket???

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#11]
I wanted to just try a spaceship game to get the hang of things and randomly in the middle of the game have everything go into a 3D spin and flip the whole thing around. Do you guys know what I mean?

Also, for this 3D spin thing, would I have to use Sin/Cos to pre-compute a circle for the camera to take while always pointing it towards a PivotPoint in the middle?

(I've learned a lot in just a few days!)

What I mean is similar to the way the camera rotates around the mid-air princess in Shrek as she deals with Robin Hood and Co.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#12]
Just place a pivot at thepoint of rotation and then parent your camera to it. Now, rotating/turning the pivot will cause the camera to orbit around it.

Buggy(Posted 2006) [#13]
Wow. That's a lot easier! I forgot all about these newfangled (yes, that's a word) parent/child/stepfather relationships in programming. If you don't understand the stepfather, it was a joke, and a bad one at that.

Thanks for putting up with me.