Networking in Blitz

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Networking in Blitz

Farflame(Posted 2006) [#1]
Once again I'm not sure which section to put this in, but since I'm using B3D I'll try here.

Ok, I'm using B3D with Raknet. I'm trying to get my client to connect to my server, but my server is behind a router. I know how to do port forwarding, so here's my question.....

Should the client connect to the routers I.P (X.X.X.1) or to the computers I.P (X.X.X.17)? I've been trying to use the computer's I.P and use port forwarding to get the connection from the router to the server but it isn't working.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think it depends if both, client and sever are behind the router, or if only the server is behind it.
I the first case which is bad for tests you probably need to use LAN IPs such as 192.168.0.n (or whatever your router is using), where the second case may be better for tests. so basicly the world out there only knows the routers IP( since your ISP assigned only one IP to you). The router will then forward to the wanted server machine. I'm not sure if or how this will work with two servers in the same LAN, but I guess the router will use a connection ID to forward to the right server.
However you need to configure your software firewall that is running on the machines (both client and server) as well as the router to make sure uncommon ports and protocols are working.

Farflame(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hehe, not much of that makes sense to me.

The thing is, it's working fine on two machines sitting side by side, both connected to the internet through the same router. I just tell the client to connect to the server using the server's IP address. It's been working fine like that for a year, but now I'm trying to test with an outside machine and it doesn't work at all. I suspect something else is happening here that I don't understand.

Farflame(Posted 2006) [#4]
Anyone know how I find my routers IP address? When I try internet pages it gives vague 'can't find IP address' errors. I know the computers IP, not the routers.

SheepOnMintSauce(Posted 2006) [#5]
Go to the DOS prompt type in 'ipconfig/all' (minus the quotes) and hit enter. The default gateway that pops up in the results should be your routers IP address. Albeit I have a router modem so that's that.