How do I get started with this?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/How do I get started with this?

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#1]
I went http://schiratti.com/dowson.html and got the SDK for this thing.

I'd like to gain access to it using blitz if at all possible.

I have no experience of any of the languages which are used for example purposes in that SDK, hence I can't see how on earth you get started with it.

The author of the package does a nice line in RTFM and being generally evasive, so there's no help coming from him if he can avoid it (avoiding answering direct questions seems to be his hobby actually).

Nothing I've read (and boy have I read a lot of things I didn't remotely understand to find this out) gives any sort of clue as to how you'd pass information between blitz and the package, it just say that you pass it, but never says how yo udo that. I can't even find out enough to read up on anything and I've given this my best for about 2 months now.

Can anyone who knows c or visual basic or delphi give me some idea of what the hell is going on with this thing please? I've never coded in any of them or done any windows programming. It's just never explicitly said what's happening, but the example code in that SDK file might help someone identify what's going on.

Fully stumped.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
seems to be a pretty complex thing. Probably you should try to locate some sort of DLL and a description on how to access the DLLs functions.

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks, yes, that's pretty much what I thought at first.

Apparently it's using a pretty old school method rather like DDE in win 3.1 days. Or somehting like that. Mostly it's really a server and you have to write your own client. More than that I am lost with for now.

I missed all that era as I was "an Amigan" at that time, probably still am really.

Oh well, back to the draining board. Unless anyone knows about that old style stuff of course?