AutoRun

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/AutoRun

W(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hey guys,
I haven't been able to find out if Blitz can AutoRun. I know how to make an .exe file, but if I have the .exe on a disc how can I make it autorun?? Soo can Blitz utilitze AutoRun?, and if so how do I go about it??

-any help is appreciated

thanx

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#2]
I believe to do that you make a file named "autorun.inf" on the CD, and insert the following via whatever text editor you use :

[autorun]
open=ThisFolder\ThatFolder\BlitzGame.exe
icon=ThisFolder\ThatFolder\BlitzGame.exe

If my mind serves me Windows searches for that file upon CD being inserted, and then takes orders from there on what to do next.

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yep, that's true. But it only works if you have Auto Insert Notification enabled on your computer.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
Don't worry, in XP you cannot turn it off other than messing with the registry. Must love it :o) (Well at least as far as I remember it's XP, probably it was Win2000, but anyway)

W(Posted 2006) [#5]
I just burned a disk with my game info on it. I included a textfile called "autorun.inf", with the lines above and it didn't work. I am positive the autorun is enabled on my computer, could you be a little more specific as to exactly how to do this?

Do I need a folder on the cd called "autorun.inf" or just any text document with "autorun.inf"?

big10p(Posted 2006) [#6]
Can't you look on a CD that autoruns and see what they've got going on?

W(Posted 2006) [#7]
I was looking for a decent edumatation on the subject, I guess I could check a cd that autoruns, but I don't have one on me at this second, so it will have to be later. I just thought someone could tell me bout the process involved???

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#8]
It's exactly as Genexi2 stated. Make sure that your file paths (if any) are correct.

Pineapple(Posted 2006) [#9]
I'm sure there are little apps that let you prepare an AutoRun enabled CD!

Though, they are just a more souped up way of doing what gen said!

Dabz

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#10]
Have you tried right-clicking the CD-ROM drive under "My Computer"? Should give you the option to force an "Auto-Play" if it detects the .inf file in the root directory of the CD.

Did some toying with auto-run on my jump-drive, works exactly for the example I posted.
(made a custom icon for it now, heheh, beats the old crappy logo of the company it had earlier)

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#11]
Wait a minuet!

autorun.inf????

NO! autorun.ini!!!! INI MY FRIEND.

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#12]
Autorun.ini is NOT correct. It's Autorun.inf

By the way, I've just found out that Windows doesn't like spaces in the filenames, even if you use quotes.

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#13]
Don't worry, in XP you cannot turn it off other than messing with the registry.

TweakUI will let you do this without getting your hands dirty. Indispensible little tool.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#14]
You can even do it without tweak ui. There is a normally not directly visible option to do so if you use the device manager or do a rightclick properties on the drive.

As well you can temporaly shut it down by holding down shift while your disc is read on insert.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#15]
There is a normally not directly visible option to do so if you use the device manager or do a rightclick properties on the drive.
Its not directly visible, because it doesn't exist.

:)