entityx verses tformedx

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/entityx verses tformedx

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have been using entity(entity,true) to get global coordinates. It seems like it works just fine to move explosions and other entities to the position of the entity, but when I look at those coordinates in the debugger and put them into my game, the coordinates seem to be completely wrong. Is there a reason for this?

Also, I was looking through the docs, and found the tform commands. Are these what I am wanting and for what purpose would entityx(entity,global) be used for?

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
If the entity your positioning had a parent, make sure you also use positionentity with the global value set. Post some code if that doesn't help.

No need for tformpoint here.

Stevie

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#3]
I am sorry for making the question unclear. What I really want to know is when do you use tformed comands over entityx,y,z... comands? What is the difference between entityx(entity,true) and tformedx()?

Matty(Posted 2006) [#4]
If you want to transform between local and global coordinates, that is when you use it.

So if you want, for instance, to know where in the 'world' a point is that is say 1 unit to the left of an entity, relative to the entity's orientation, then you would use the tformed commands. In the example given you would do this:

TformPoint -1,0,0,My3DModelWhichCouldBeFacingAnyDirection,0

Xpos#=TformedX() ;the x coordinate in the world of a point which lies 1 unit to the left of the 3d model listed above
YPos#=Tformedy() ;the y coordinate in the world of a point which lies 1 unit to the left of the 3d model listed above
zPos#=TformedZ() ;the z coordinate in the world of a point which lies 1 unit to the left of the 3d model listed above

perhaps a few more examples could be given such as:

Let us say you wanted to know if a particular entity "EntityA" is in front of another entity "EntityB" then to do this you would simply do this:

XPositionOfEntityARelativeToEntityB#=EntityX(EntityA,true)-EntityX(EntityB,true)
YPositionOfEntityARelativeToEntityB#=EntityY(EntityA,true)-EntityY(EntityB,true)
ZPositionOfEntityARelativeToEntityB#=EntityZ(EntityA,true)-EntityZ(EntityB,true)

;then we use tformvector or tformnormal to transform this vector from 'world space' to 'local space' of EntityB

TformNormal XPositionOfEntityARelativeToEntityB#,YPositionOfEntityARelativeToEntityB#,ZPositionOfEntityARelativeToEntityB#,0,EntityB

If TFormedZ()>0.0 then 
;Entity A must be in front of Entity B

endif 
If TFormedZ()<0.0 then
;EntityA must be behind Entity B
endif 
If TFormedX()<0.0 then 
;Entity A must be to the left of Entity B
endif 
If TFormedX()>0.0 then 
;Entity A must be to the right of Entity B
endif 
;Same logic applies to TFormedY() ie if TFormedY()>0.0 then Entity A must be above Entity B, although the actual value of TFormedX,Y,Z() will tell you just how much to the front/left/up/down/right/back the entity is.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#5]
I think the main usage of tformpoint commands, is to get vertex positions.

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks, especially Matty, for all the help. That cleared it up for me.