Blitz3d or BlitzMax?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz3d or BlitzMax?

mrjh(Posted 2006) [#1]
First of all, I am basicly only interested in making 3d games. So, origonally, I thought that Blitz3d would be the obvious choice. However, I have seen many 3d games made with BlitzMax. I have also heard that BlitzMax is better. So which do you think is best for me?

Please explain your answers!

simonh(Posted 2006) [#2]
BlitzMax is the better language. But there's no official 3D module yet, and won't be a for a while.

So it's up to you:

Blitz3D now, or BlitzMax and a third party 3D engine (such as Irrlicht - may not be beginner friendly) now, or BlitzMax and wait for the official 3D module.

In truth it's not an easy decision to make, when you don't know how far away Max's 3D module is away from being released. Personally I would probably use Blitz3D for now.

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
Depends on your experience. Blitz 3D is so nice and friendly to use - great for beginners - I love it.

mrjh(Posted 2006) [#4]
I love Blitz3d and have used the demo for quite some time now, I just wasn't sure what the capabilities of BlitzMax are. I want to make sure I am making the right decision before I spend $100 (which is a very big amount of money to me) .

How user friendly is BlitzMax in comparison to Blitz3d?

tonyg(Posted 2006) [#5]
BlitzMax is a little less user-friendly (and the doc is awful) but a lot more powerful.
You can use OOP techniques which can make large projects easier to 'structure'.
I have BlitzMax and it's quite a steep learning curve if you're a procedural BB user.
For 3D I would stick with B3D.

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2006) [#6]
I was considering BMax for my next project, but I think I'll stick with B3D. My skills and understanding are developed, Blitz3D is very stable, and it's very capable. The entity system is very simple and efficient. Until there's a similar system for BMax, including ODE or another similarly capable physics engine, I think it'll be more trouble than it's worth to most people.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#7]
However, I have seen many 3d games made with BlitzMax.

What games?

Get Blitz3D. I'll be getting BlitzMax once the 3D module is available, but I imagine I'll continue to use Blitz3D for some time even after then because of its mature development environment/support.