channelstop not working

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/channelstop not working

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#1]
In my code, I have a menu screen and the actual game. I want different music for both of them, but can't get the menu music to stop when the game music begins. The game music is layered over the menu music.

Global sound
Global soundplaying

this is at the beginning of the code

sound = LoadSound("Joes Last Mix.mp3")
LoopSound sound
soundplaying = PlaySound (sound)

this is used to load menu music

StopChannel soundplaying
soundplaying = 0
FreeSound sound
sound = 0

this is used when I exit the menu to go to the game

sound = LoadSound("Joes Last Mix digitalized fast.mp3")
	LoopSound sound

this is used to load the new music for the game

StopChannel (soundplaying)
soundplaying = 0
FreeSound (sound)
sound = 0

this is used to stop the sound before returning to the menu after exiting the game.

Every time I switch between the menu and the game it adds another sound on top of the others. I am confused about this.

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hard to say. I don't see anything wrong with your code. Are you certain the commands are called in the order you've shown them? Have you tried stepping through your program with debug mode?

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#3]
They are all called in that order, however they are all in different functions, and the code for the menu is in a seperate included file. The globals are declared in this file (at beginning)

JazzieB(Posted 2006) [#4]
Is it possible the values of sound and/or soundplaying are getting changed somewhere other than where they're supposed to? This would cause the problem you are having.

To investigate, put in some DebugLog commands in all of the above places to say where you are and what the values of those two variables are. If one or both of them change between starting a tune and stopping it, another part of your program is changing them when it shouldn't.

For example...

sound = LoadSound("Joes Last Mix.mp3")
LoopSound sound
DebugLog "Started menu music, sound: "+sound+"  channel: "+soundplaying

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#5]
thanks for the suggestion, JazzieB. I tried what you suggested and came up with the soundplaying not being set to the channel. It remains zero on all 4 of the logs I put in. I also relized that I start the music twice at almost the same time when I change the screen resolution again. Does anyone know why the channel is not being set?

started menu music, sound: 11598352 channel: 0
started menu music, sound: 11599680 channel: 0
before stopped menu music, sound: 11599680 channel: 0
after stopped menu music, sound: 0 channel: 0

mindstorms(Posted 2006) [#6]
I found a bug that when starting menu music it doesn't set the channel. After fixing it, the channel is still lost when I go to stop the channel.

before started menu music, sound: 0 channel: 0
started menu music, sound: 11598352 channel: 11599520
before stopped menu music change graphics, sound: 11598352 channel: 0
after stopped menu music change graphics, sound: 0 channel: 0
before started menu music, sound: 0 channel: 0
started menu music, sound: 11598352 channel: 11599280
before stopped menu music, sound: 11598352 channel: 0
after stopped menu music, sound: 0 channel: 0