MD2?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/MD2?

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#1]
im not sure what the limits of the md2 format are and ive been told that they are faster than b3d files because of limits. but what are those limits?

Pete

Matty(Posted 2006) [#2]
It looks like the replies to this were lost in the server change:

they were from memory:

1 texture map
wobbly vertices
4096 triangles maximum

you can actually look up the format of the md2 model on a number of websites - I think there were also some other limitations which may even have been 256 frames of animation??

Also - I haven't tried with other tools but I found that with milkshape3d when attempting to make a sliding door in the md2 model format it "didn't like" it upon exporting - strange issues with mesh distortion although that could be just milkshape's exporter - it works fine for character models though.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#3]
For the sake of completeness, Beaker also mentioned "No bones".

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#4]
ok thanks for the pointers. server change? matts the md2 character you sent me with you rts code didnt seem to have wobbly vertices it looked quite good i think anyone can live with 4096 triangle limit the highest any of my models are is 2500 ish most are 1300 ish. the sliding door thing worrys me though as with my transformers thers a lot of animation going on.

Pete

BIG BUG(Posted 2006) [#5]
That 4096 triangle limit applies to Quake II. Blitz3D can handle more than that, I guess.
MD2 uses vertex morphing for animation, so there are more opportunities for vertex animation than in the other formats. (3d-Pacman/Waterdrops for example)

The most important limit imho is, that there aren't any surface-commands available for MD2(like LightMesh, UpdateNormals, Vertexcoords...).

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#6]
i havent tryed it but if i do a normal animation in character fx and export it can it be converted into md2 or do you need a program to do md2 animations? if so whats the best? sorry if thats a dumb question

Pete

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#7]
You can export md2 from CharacterFX.