Countvertices()=-2?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Countvertices()=-2?

Graythe(Posted 2006) [#1]
Chaps,

I've been trying to make a buckyball. When I check the number of vertices in my risible mesh it says -2. Is that because I have put more than 1 triangle per vertex - or is that nothing to do with it?

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
Never had countvertices return a negative count. I think you must be doing something wrong. It should make no difference if triangles share vertices or not.

What's a buckyball btw?

Are you creating the mesh in code .. if so, can show an example?

Stevie

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#3]
The number of vertices is more to do with a surface than a mesh (and I think Blitz3d has a limit of 65536 vertices per surface).

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckyball

big10p(Posted 2006) [#5]
Woah! Having just seen what a buckyball is from octo's link, I'm guessing the problem is indeed that you've exceeded the vert limit. :P

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#6]
That's bizarre, a molecule EXACTLY the same shape as a soccer ball that produces free radicals when it hits water, the football hooliganism parallels are scary to say the least.

Graythe(Posted 2006) [#7]
Am I mistaken or have some replies been lost? Has the website been restored very recently?

DJWoodgate(Posted 2006) [#8]
It has been moved. There was an announcement on the front page that warned some posts would be lost in the process. At least it happened without a long downtime.

Graythe(Posted 2006) [#9]
Ahh. I saw a coded solution here from a genius and got the gist. I found also a list of vertices on the net. Phi - indeedy!

Thanks. I got tears in my eyes. I wanna create a star stype object. Something that looks like its happenning. I'm one hell of a long way from achieving that but it's a step. 1 step. The buckyball.

I also found some very interesting information concerning relationships between the planets in our solar system when using the distance between Sol and Mercury as 1 astronomical unit instead Earth to Sol as is normal. All from searching google with Phi and Buckyball.

I'm not quite sure about shaving the donkey - It's the only valuable posession my family has but I'll try anything!

Funny really '-2 vertices'. Never mind - probably it's more like minus 2 braincells concerning my cretinous construction methods.

DJWoodgate(Posted 2006) [#10]
That was probably octothorpe. You might find this interesting. Not my code, I am not sure who wrote it, other than it was on the old blitzcoder forums, but it creates a geosphere of varying detail by subdivision of an Icosahedron. It may help you achieve your star. Change global detail to suit. I suspect the texturing bit needs some work. There is a paper by Gernot Hoffman on the subject which explains the process. He seems to know his onions.
http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/ikos27042002.pdf

Graythe(Posted 2006) [#11]
Hmmm..... very tasty! Thanks again DJ. I may be some time...