Copyright Issues

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Copyright Issues

Blitz123(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have an almost complete game in the making, and I would like to ask how I copyright my game. Can I just put a notice in the start movie?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
yes, of course. Just make sure the movie can be played by all machines (something you never exactly know). probably you better add it somewhere where it's kind of bullet proof, eg. in a text file that comes with the release plus as a screen output that can be forced by some special cheat codes. Preventing people from editing the exe can be done when you define a string like this:
c$="c"+"o"+"p"+"y"+"r"+"i"+"gh"+"t"+" "+"b"+"y"+" "+"m"+"e"...
so the string cannot be seen so easily in a hexeditor, debugger or disassembler.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#3]
You could send a package to yourself, by recorded delievery, and never open it. The package would contain the original copy of the game, on a disk.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#4]
Ross C: Common misconception, but that accomplishes absolutely nothing. After all, there is no guarantee you didn't mail yourself an open envelope and put something in there later... So it won't be proof, and won't stand up if contested.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#5]
Hey jfk, that's a clever trick. Kind of overkill to protect the exe from disassembly (if it ever came down to that, you have the source code and they don't; case closed,) but it's so simple to do you might as well.

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#6]
how I copyright my game
It's already done. Have a look at the Copyright FAQ on my site.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#7]
Haven't looked at WolRon's stuff, but from what I know, copyright occurs the moment you create your work. To formally file for it, governments in the Western Hemisphere have copyright offices, and a work can be recorded for a usually small fee (I think it was $10 in the USA). It's so inexpensive, that if you are serious about protecting your work (and why not--it's yours, and you don't want anybody stealing it, right?), then go for it.