2D Shooter Graphics

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/2D Shooter Graphics

Flo01(Posted 2006) [#1]
Can anyone help me?

I'm going to make a 2D shooter.
I need some graphics(enemies, background, weapons...)

Thank you for all answers

Flo01

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#2]
Well buddy, it seems you are extremely new to programming.

create each image with mspaint, photoshop, paintshop, etc. Whatever image editing program you have. Save them to your projects directory. And load them into blitz with either LoadImage, or LoadAnimImage. And if it is a bmp (which it should be) with a transparency color, use MaskImage to whatever color it is. And drawing each image is either DrawImage, TileImage, or some other variation.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#3]
Of course, creating tons of images takes a lot of time. You can also try to see if some people already released the image you need as royalty free art.
Some usefull stuff here:
http://www.molotov.nu/?page=graphics
http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Graphics/

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yes, there are plenty of free sprite libraries to be found online with a little googling. Be forewarned: most of them look pretty awful.

I suggest getting comfortable with atrocious-looking art. You can always swap in better art later when you find it, find someone to do it for you, or find the time to improve it yourself.

"paint.net" is a free program which beats the pants off of mspaint. mspaint has no interface for modifying the alpha channel, which will prove critical for many graphical effects.

Blitz123(Posted 2006) [#5]
IMPORTANT:
whatever you do, don't use jpgs!They blur all your graphics.Use bmps.Unless thats what you want.

Flo01(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks for help, Blitz123!

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#7]
PNG format has a lower file size than BMP, and is still good quality.

Most people tend to use that format.

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#8]
IMPORTANT:
whatever you do, don't use bmps!The file sizes are outrageous.Use pngs or jpgs.Unless thats what you want.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#9]
Well, once everything has been zipped up for download, there's actually very little difference between using BMPs and PNGs. Of course, all images use exactly the same amount of memory once loaded, regardless of file format.

So, using PNGs just saves you some disk space, at the end of the day. Yeah, PNGs have alpha too, but that doesn't apply to 2D, as being discussed here. I'd guess that PNGs take longer to load, too, because of the decompression required. Not sure as I haven't tested.

Anyway, I use PNGs out of habit, now. :)

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#10]
I'd guess that PNGs take longer to load, too, because of the decompression required. Not sure as I haven't tested.
With CPU's as fast as they are, I'd be willing to bet that the decompression time is offset by the extremely less loading time, so they may come out about the same.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#11]
bmp's are fail safe practicly.
ANY 32 bit system supports them (got to leave room for the lonely DOS users) and you don't have to deal with compression or alpha channels. I use bmp in my 2D games.

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#12]
But (lossless) compression and alpha channels are good things! Blitz handles decompression for you (DOS users rejoice,) and using the alpha channel isn't required.

I'd be willing to bet that the decompression time is offset by the extremely less loading time

Yes, because the CPU is going to have to wait for the slow-assed hard drive to finish sending the monstrous BMP into RAM.

I can't think of a single reason to use BMPs over PNGs in Blitz.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#13]
Maybe if you want to stream a bmp into blitz, without putting it's contents into an image.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#14]
Yes, because the CPU is going to have to wait for the slow-assed hard drive to finish sending the monstrous BMP into RAM.

Maybe on old machines under 200 MHz and 20 GB Hard drives, but not anymore. Storage isn't much of a problem nowadays, with huge HDs storing stuff locally, CD-ROMs being used for distribution, and ZIP being used to shrink the whole thing for transmission over the internet on broadband, so what's the beef (and I don't mean hamburger commercials on TV).