shakin like a bowl fulla jelly

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/shakin like a bowl fulla jelly

ryan scott(Posted 2006) [#1]
i've written some code that takes an object and moves its vertices to make it look like it is shaking like jelly.

works great, but the vertices along different strips (I guess?) separate from each other. In MAX they are 'welded', but in blitz, that doesn't really mean anything, does it? I don't have a way of telling if 2 vertices are welded and should move together unless i manually search the whole mesh and keep note of vertices that are in exactly the same position as each other, or close within a certain tolerance?

i put an example of it here. it's hard to tell exactly, but if you know meshes you probably know what i'm talking about already!

these pieces are connected in max.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
AFAIRR there are Weld ad Unweld functions in the code archives. Welded vertices are the same in blitz as in 3dsmax, they are shared vertices.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#3]
The problem is that sometimes, certain vertices will need to be unwelded in order for the object to be textured correctly. For example, a blitz sphere has a 'seam' running from pole-to-pole. Without this, the texture would be distorted on the tris where the texture wraps around the sphere.

As you suggest, you need to develop a system that scans/parses the mesh and groups verts with the same (or near) coords. This should be possible by creating a vertex TYPE for each vert with unique coords. This type could then have a linked list of types containing all the verts with the same coords. Something like that, anyway. :)