terrain question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/terrain question

stayne(Posted 2006) [#1]
if i could take a 1024x1024 .b3d terrain mesh, break it up into 128x128 chunks and load them up into blitz3d, what in your opinion would be the best way to handle them? i'm not very familiar with LOD management. i figure the current patch the player is standing on plus any adjacent patch could be shown and all other patches could be hidden/not drawn.

if that would work, would it still not make sense to load up as many patches as I wanted? if terrain patches are loaded up and then hidden are they actually drawn until shown or not? seems too easy.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#2]
That's about it yeah. You could if you want, just draw all of the patches, but set the camera range so only a certain distance is shown. it would work the same, and you wouldn't have to manage the terrain chunks. Whats not in the camera range, isn't drawn.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#3]
then why does everyone stress about seamless landscapes and speculate that blitz3d can't do it?

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#4]
Because there not good programmers? ;o) (jk) Seamless landscapes are very possible, but alot of other things come into consideration too. Check out Rob Farley's helicopter game. I think he uses a similar method to this, and it looks pretty niiiice :o)

stayne(Posted 2006) [#5]
well then... i urge anyone that wants to make a reeeeally big world to check out pnp-terraincreator. i own a license, so i'm going to see just how big of a world i can squeeze into blitz. more to come.

http://www.pnp-terraincreator.com/user.php?section=Overview

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#6]
If i were you, i wouldn't use blitz terrains for this. I'd build my own meshes, based on the heightmap.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#7]
the app i mentioned above breaks the terrain up into chunks (64x64, 128x128, 256x256 or whatever you want) and exports .b3d meshes (among other formats) along with the shadowmap, colormap, etc. even object and tree placements can be exported in .xml or .txt.

no blitz terrains.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#8]
AH, well that IS very handy, best re-read that site :o) Thanks for the link man.