3D visual FX

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/3D visual FX

Grovesy(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi all,

I am fairly new to 3d modelling and was wondering how visual FX are created in games. I assume they are created as an animated model in something like 3DsMax (which is what i am starting to use).

Does anyone know of any 3DsMax tutorials that will help me learn how to do these sort of effects for my blitz games.

Example of the sort of effects i am talking about can be seen in this game screen shot:

Cheers

Jams(Posted 2006) [#2]
Many special effects are achieved with something called a Particle Engine, there's a few examples in the code archives :)

I think there's a few things in that screenshot which fall outside a particle engine's scope though...

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#3]
How did you afford 3D Studio Max? It costs BIG moolah.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
now let's see what's in your pockets :P Well this kind of effect is not made in 3ds MAX, but it's symtomatic for the usage of the additive blendmode. Simply take a sprite, or some particle system, then use blendmode 3 (EntityBlend x,3),if you have multiple textures then you can also use TextureBlend t,3.

For the textures you may use images of light sources, lightnings etc.

While the default blending mode is "Alpha" (=mix), the additive blendmode will add the brightness of foreground and background, up to full white.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#5]
now let's see what's in your pockets :P

Not enough to buy 3D Studio Max, that's for sure. 8(

Jams(Posted 2006) [#6]
[post removed because it was stupid]

Grovesy(Posted 2006) [#7]
Cheers jfk, that gives me a starting point as i originally had no idea where to start with this wort of thing. I always assumed they were modelled in 3D, but what you and Jams are saying makes more sense.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yeesh, Jams, you really know how to hurt a guy. Wuz jus' askin', is all, don't you know? I went price shopping on the product, and sat back in astonishment at the full price. Yes, I can understand that you obtained it under an educational license. Happy for you, really. Glad you saved big money. I'm not in school and not under an educational license. *MY* cost would be several thousand dollars. Ouch!

Jams(Posted 2006) [#9]
Oooops, it seems like i jumped to the wrong conclusion - i thought you were getting all high & mighty about software piracy! Sincere apologies sir Gak.

Incidently i'm not using the educational license, was just pointing out the (relative) cheapness of it :)

my apologies again!

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#10]
No problem. I tried their no-longer-supported GMax, and thought it was incredible. If I had the bucks, I'd get their flagship product, 3dStudio Max. But, can't afford it. Oh, well. Best to you, Jams, and much success on your project.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#11]
Alot of effects can be built in blitz. Such as lightning strikes. Build a mesh and deform it, using the blend modes mentioned above for the light effects.