Fluid-filled Orb Type Thing

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Fluid-filled Orb Type Thing

Newbunkle(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi

I'm looking for advice on how to create an object out of a few primitives. I've tried it myself without much success. Everything I make looks really crappy.

What I have in mind is something that looks like a crystal ball, filled with a kind of gel or fluid. I want the fluid to look as if it gives off a little ambient light.

I'm planning on putting a sprite inside too, so it looks like there's a head floating inside.

I tried flipping a sphere inside out, and using another one to act as the front half. I made it a little transparent so that you can see the image within. I've messed about with transparency and various effects like full-bright, but it always looks dull, or the sprite inside can't be seen clearly.

So... if anyone can think of a clever trick I would be very grateful. I've been looking for a picture of an object as an example, without success. If I find one I'll post it so that you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
Maybe have a look at my little glass demo somehere in the code archives, that is using a second render to get a lense effect for a piece of glass, that is also what you see in a glass sphere. Probably you should try to use a Bloom filter with a seperate render of the plasma to get that shiny glowing effect. Tho, what you describe doesn't sound so easy. It sounds more like something that's even hard to do with non-realtime rendering apps.

Newbunkle(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks for the reply. When I get home I'll hunt for your code and have a look. I know I'm being a bit over-ambitious. =/