Payed Artists

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Payed Artists

Q(Posted 2006) [#1]
From your guys' experience, how much money do you guys think is reasonable to pay a artist to dp graphics for a game like this:

Of course, suited for my game. :o)

WarpZone(Posted 2006) [#2]
In my experience, no company will pay you what your time was worth. And if they do make you an offer that sounds reasonable, they'll make you re-do it 20 times and then their Accounts Payable department will withold payment until six months after you both agree the job is done.

That's what I would say to you if you are the graphics artist. If you're the game developer, all I have to say is please DON'T follow the above mentioned @#!*ty business practices. Kthxbi.

Q(Posted 2006) [#3]
Can anyone else actually recommend a price? Would artists accept around $100-$200? Or is that too cheap?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
For the graphics on that screenie 200$ may be ok for an unemployed or hobbist who wants to make a few bucks extra. When it's a company then it would cost much more. The age of the artist does also matter, young people seem to have more time, or their time elapses slower for some strange reason.

And finally his location should be considered, depending on the live costs 200$ may be a lot or a little money.

I take it you are talking about the graphics seen on this pic, and not about 10 Levels each one with its set of graphics.

So, as an example, I am currently unmeployed and I live in Switzerland, where an small appartment costs 700$ or more per month, 1 Kilo bread 2$ in the supermarket.
I would do it for 200$ or even for say 150$. Then again, I'm pretty desperate :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#5]
A bit off topic from what you're asking though- If you're going to make a puzzle game, Make it colour-blind friendly! :D

big10p(Posted 2006) [#6]
You need to be more specific, Valorden. Write a comprehensive list detailing exactly what you require; something like:

1 X game logo (size: 256,256)
10 x game tiles (size: 64x64)
5 x GUI buttons (size: 64x16)

...etc.

You could also give a brief description of each image required, because doing 10 identical gem images, just in different colours is a lot easier (quicker) than doing ten unique images, like fruit.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#7]
@Cygnus
A bit off topic from what you're asking though- If you're going to make a puzzle game, Make it colour-blind friendly! :D

There's a bet I'm sure many games creators overlook (myself included). Same shape, different colors, could be a hindrance for the visually handicapped. Different shapes would be in order, I should think.

Q(Posted 2006) [#8]
Heh, I'm color blind. Not literally blind to all colors, but I can't see some shades of orange and green. It's almost impossible to make something color-blind friendly, because not everyone is color-blind in the same way ;)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#9]
Sir Gak got the idea Valorden- Change the shapes a bit.
make the colours bright and contrasty also lowers the chance of colour blind problems.

Almost all puzzle games based on colours have some shade of blue/purple/red/green i cant distinguish- And i'm also colourblind of all dark colours- I think that means my eyes see things greyscale before they should, or something.

Either way, I saw my last sofa as black when it was a realy really dark red :P

With gems, just making the rotation different could be enough :) As long as i can tell the two blues i'm seeing ARENT the same, (because theyre rotated differently) i'm good to play.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#10]
With the gems idea, put a "gleam" or "sparkle" in different places on the gem, which could differentiate one gem from another (ie. different shape)

Physt(Posted 2006) [#11]
Many of the match 3 games have a color blind mode that overlays small shapes (squares, diamonds, circles... ) over the gems so they can be distinguished.