Can I get an Animation Turorial

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Can I get an Animation Turorial

W(Posted 2006) [#1]
I know how to animate my models in Lightwave, but I don't know how to export it correctly for use with Blitz, can someone tell me how to export it so that I can use it..

-I have been to Lee's Page and tried to use the exporter, but if someone could walk me through the steps, I would be very grateful, thanks all

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#2]
save out the scene file (lws) and make sure everything is in the same folder , model & scene

key frame every 2 or 3

run it through Terrabits lwdeform

note down where the animation cycles start and end
for extraction within blitz, eg your walk cycle is
frame 1 to 20
jump cycle 21 to 31

then use the blitz extract anim command

walk = ExtractAnimSeq(mesh,1,20)
Animate mesh,1,1,walk,2

W(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks Much this is really gonna help me out!!

W(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hey I am giving this animation stuff a shot and I can't get my model to actually run the animation scene that I put in for it. My Model won't walk, and I did as I was instructed above:.....

;=====================================================
;some of my code
;--for the loading of the model
enemy\model = LoadAnimMesh("vi new try 2.B3D")

;--for the animation in my CheckEnemyAI() function
walk= ExtractAnimSeq(enemy\model,1,50)
Animate enemy\model,1,1,walk,2

;=========================================================

So any help, or ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#5]
What actually happens when you run the code? Does it give you an error, or does the model simply stand still?

Incidentally, make sure you only call Animate once to start the animation, then call UpdateWorld every frame to increment it. Common mistakes include calling Animate every frame (which would make the animation start over repeatedly, thus never playing) and forgetting UpdateWorld (again, without that in the main loop the animation doesn't play.)

W(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks I did have it calling Animate every frame, and I have fixed it so that the Animate call is in the Initialization section of my code. And the UpdateWorld is called in my main loop, so it should increment every frame. I do not get any errors or anything either, my model is just standing still motionless??? So what do you think it could be???

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#7]
Can you post the b3d file so that we can inspect it?

W(Posted 2006) [#8]
How do i go about posting my b3d file?

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#9]
Upload the file to the internet somewhere, and post a link for others to download it.

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#10]
does the model animate in the converter window ?

if it does then its your blitz code not the model

W(Posted 2006) [#11]
No the model doesn't animate in the converter window. So does this mean that the model is made improperly??

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#12]
yep its a lightwave issue your scene isnt set up properly

W(Posted 2006) [#13]
Could you give me a "checklist" of what I should do to ensure my models are exported properly within Lightwave, for use in Blitz-3D please??

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#14]
best thing to do is zip the scene over to me..if you want , i can take a quick look for you

are you using bones with weight map only ?

W(Posted 2006) [#15]
I e-mailed the scene and object 2 ya so tell me if you find something kk..

-thanks

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#16]
ok got it, i will take a quick look

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#17]
ummm the scene loaded all mashed up

But it doesn’t look like you have assigned each bone to a weight map

when in modeler name your bones(skelegons) the same as the weight map, this makes it easy for layout

click on each bone and properties , each bone you select the weight map name will match up then select weight map only

W(Posted 2006) [#18]
should the skelegons in modeler be in the same layer as the model or in a seperate layer???

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#19]
yeh same layer, i have found you have loads of stuff in different layers

WORK ON A COPY OF OBJECT :)

skelegons, just give them a surface name so you can delete them from the the mesh when you have converted to bones

this will avoid texture problems

im still looking into it , wow you have been playing with layers ;)

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#20]
ok sussed it...check your mail
have sent you the lightwave scene file to tear apart
check the names on weight map and bones in item properties

also it converts check the viewer in mail i sent

have fun :)

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#21]
It sounds like you guys already figured this out, but I can confirm that the problem was the b3d file. When I opened it in Ultimate Unwrap, there was skeletal animation, but the mesh was not bound to the skeleton. Also, there were only three bones (each side of the hip and one knee;) I don't know if you meant that or not.

wow you have been playing with layers

I get that same feeling when helping one friend with Maya. He keeps using layers, but to me that just complicates the scene graph.

W(Posted 2006) [#22]
KK MUCH THANKS for all your help guys!!!