How to make infinite terrain

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/How to make infinite terrain

SkyCube(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to create an "inifinite terrain". What I mean is, I can use a terrain created from a height map, but there comes a moment the player can reach the edge of the terrain (which wouldn't look too good on a game). I also don't want to simply place a wall at the edge of the terrain.

I have seen some demos where the terrain "repeats" itself when the player reaches the edge. If you walk straight forward, eventually you end up in the same place where you started. Does anyone know how this is done?

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#2]
There are many different methods. Did you know that you can load multiple terrains? Just tile them.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yeah, you'll want to use a tiling approach. Rather than just a single terrain piece, you always have 9 (or more): the one the player is on, and all the tiles surrounding it. Whenever the player moves from one tile to the next, you switch em around. Then of course you use fog to hide the switching around of tiles in the distance.

I don't know if his terrain system is still available, but sswift had a particularly clever approach involving "growing" terrain in the distance so that you don't get any jarring pop-in.

SkyCube(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought about it. However, how do I create seamless terrains? You know, so that any hills don't have flat sides where one tile ends and the other begins? I am using GeoScape.

I could always save the mesh and splice it using another 3d App... what do you think?

stayne(Posted 2006) [#5]
http://www.pnp-terraincreator.com/

good terrain app for sector work.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#6]
Gee guys, you know I have been around a long time, but I never knew you could use Blitz Terrain multiple times. I have been struggling with something this weekend which this will make my life easier thanks.

IPete2.