FPS and tutorials for using my gun??

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/FPS and tutorials for using my gun??

W(Posted 2006) [#1]
I am still learning how to use Blitz 3-d, and I would like to see a tutorial of using guns in an FPS, you know something to show me the ropes in the firing of guns,trajectories, etc.

Any help would be appreciated

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#2]
Have you seen my FPS example at my programming tutorial?

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#3]
WolRon's FPS example is an excellent, easy-to-understand, starting point to get your FPS feet wet.

W(Posted 2006) [#4]
I understand most of the code fine, but I am unable to get my bullet to fire from my gun, it doesn't move. I'll show you what I have thus far in my CheckWeapon() Function..

;my function for firing the gun
Function CheckWeapon()
If MouseHit(1)
shot.bullet = New bullet
shot\model = LoadMesh("C:\Documents and Settings\flacka\Desktop\Game\bullet head.3ds")
shot\casing = LoadMesh("C:\Documents and Settings\flacka\Desktop\Game\b caseing.3ds")
shot\x = EntityX(pistol\model)
shot\y = EntityY(pistol\model)
shot\z = EntityZ(pistol\model)
shot\zv = .5

ScaleEntity shot\model,.01,.01,.01
PositionEntity shot\model,EntityX(pistol\model),EntityY(pistol\model),EntityZ(pistol\model)
RotateEntity shot\model,EntityPitch(pistol\model),EntityYaw(pistol\model),EntityRoll(pistol\model)
EndIf

For shot.bullet = Each bullet
MoveEntity shot\model, 0,0,shot\zv
If Abs(EntityX(shot\model)) > 10000
FreeEntity shot\model
Delete shot
ElseIf Abs(EntityY(shot\model)) > 10000
FreeEntity shot\model
Delete shot
ElseIf Abs(EntityZ(shot\model)) > 10000
FreeEntity shot\model
Delete shot
EndIf
UpdateWorld
Next

End Function

I am trying to get the code in WolRon's Example tutorial, I don't think the idea is sinking in....

Please Help

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#5]
Have you defined your type fields (eg shot\zv) as floating point (# symbol)? If not, then your fractional movements are all zero because your fields are integers, which would explain why they're going nowhere.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#6]
quote:
If MouseHit(1)
shot.bullet = New bullet
shot\model = LoadMesh("C:\Documents and Settings\flacka\Desktop\Game\bullet head.3ds")
shot\casing = LoadMesh("C:\Documents and Settings\flacka\Desktop\Game\b caseing.3ds")

outch! You should never ever load things in the main loop.

Instead load then at startup, the reuse them. you can also load each thing you are going to use, then use CopyMesh to create a clone on the fly.

also make sure your bullets are not parented to anything (eg. to the camera, via gun). So use EntityParent shot\model,0

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#7]
Sir Gak is probably right about you not using a float for your z velocity.

bad, bad, bad:
good:
beginning of program
;bulletmesh = LoadMesh("bullet.b3d")				;load in a bullet mesh (this will be a template mesh)
;do any scaling here as well
in your CheckWeapon function
  bullet\entityhandle = CopyEntity(bulletmesh)			;create the bullet mesh

not ideal:
If MouseHit(1)
better:
in user input section:
mouse1 = MouseHit(1)
in your CheckWeapon function:
If mouse1

unnecessary data:
shot\x = EntityX(pistol\model)