Import GMAX files

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Import GMAX files

Sir Gak(Posted 2005) [#1]
Anybody know of a way to import gmax files into Blit3D?

SheepOnMintSauce(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'm not sure you can. Unless you find some sort of converter.

SheepOnMintSauce(Posted 2005) [#3]
As an alternative to Gmax, you could try using either Blender which is open source and apparently imports/exports to both 3ds and x formats, or you could try Z-modeler which I think might be free and exports to 3ds, although I'm not sure if it has problems with exporting UV co-ordinates.

Either way they look ok from screenshots, suppose they could be worth a try. =)

Sir Gak(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks. I've been searching, and there really does not seem to be any converter for gmax, which basically makes gmax a sham, like offering candy to a baby and then yanking it back before the tyke can take it.

Looked at Blender, and it does seem to be pretty good. Also, have looked at Milkshape 3d, too. Too bad 3DS MAX is so darn expensive, around $3000 USD. Heck, I'd be daunted to buy it at the student rate of around $400, much less the full license "commercial" version.

SheepOnMintSauce(Posted 2005) [#5]
I took a look at Milkshape 3D, it does actually look pretty decent and quite a bit easier to use than Blender anyway.

Sir Gak(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yes, and the cost is way more affordable, about $30 US. MUCH more affordable.

Ice9(Posted 2005) [#7]
There is a quake3 exporter for GMAX and if you look around
you can find quake3 to .x or .3ds converters. way back
in the early days of blitz3d I converted a light mapped
room from GMAX to .x using that method.

AmazingJas(Posted 2005) [#8]
Well if you can get this Quake3 exporter for GMAX, you can import Quake3 md3 files into Milkshape where it can be exported as Blitz's .b3d.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hi AmazingJas,

During this process: .gmax-->.md3-->.b3d
Would the textures and animations of .gmax be converted SUCCESSFULLY in .b3d?
Do we need to do other things for this conversion?

Thanks in advance.
Sammy
:)

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#10]
Well, there's this thing that will trick gmax into exporting .x files - but you will not be able to export animations. Other than that - all the texture mapping and such stay in place. You then can use Pacemaker to animate the mesh and export it to b3d. Works fine for me...

Sir Gak(Posted 2005) [#11]
Anatoly: What is the "thing" that will trick gmax?

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#12]
Here's the guide:
http://www.panda3d.org/wiki/index.php/Converting_from_GMax
Don't worry about warnings - this method works just fine with blitz3d and pacemaker. The only thing - you will have to use bmps as textures - because when you export the references in your .x file will be all .bmps.
Enjoy!