About lights

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/About lights

ghost(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello,
I would like to know some things about lights ...
First, in my level, point lights seem to pass through the walls ... Is that normal (LightRange = 5) ??
And do we always need to rotate lights when we first create them ? For me point lights do not need to be rotated but I'm maybe wrong (?).
When we first create a spot light, where does it point at ?
TIA :)

DH(Posted 2005) [#2]
First, in my level, point lights seem to pass through the walls ... Is that normal (LightRange = 5) ??

Yes, completely normal. Lights dont collide with objects (creating shadows). Your best bet would be to use a program like Gile[s] to create a light map instead of using dynamic lighting.

And do we always need to rotate lights when we first create them ? For me point lights do not need to be rotated but I'm maybe wrong (?).

You only need to rotate spot lights, as the nature of a spot light (directional). Point lights dont, think of them as a light bulb (with no power source, or blind side).

When we first create a spot light, where does it point at ?

I dont remember if they point straight down, or are created like the camera (pointing +Z)

ghost(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks DH.

I'm already using Giles, it works great, but I've a room with a few colored spot lights (a dark room), and I would like my character model beeing "illuminated" by these spots when it pass in front of them ...

Are they known limitations using dynamic lights in a map already lightmapped in Giles ?
Because my spot lights do not seem to produce any light (each spot light is pointed at a pivot created in Giles, I've put a white cube at the pivot position and the cube stay white when it should come to red, even when tweaking the light parameters ...).

DH(Posted 2005) [#4]
If the cube is positioned at the position of the light, the cube shouldnt be lit by the light (as the normals arent facing the light vectors).

I would disable ligting on the mesh in blitz (on the gile[s] mesh) so the light doesnt affect anything other than the model you want it to affect.

the Gile[s] B3D might disable lighting on the mesh when you load it (not sure if this is possible in the file parameters).

ghost(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hi DH,
my cube is at the pivot position, not at the light position (I use this pivot to point the spot light where I want it to point).
I'm not so sure how do disable lighting on the Giles mesh ...
Anyway thanks.

DH(Posted 2005) [#6]
Entityfx(<loadedmesh>,1) I believe. This sets it to full bright.

Try setting the cube to entityfx(<loadedmesh>,0), this will clear out the fx flags and the light should affect the cube.