Translucency Overlap

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Translucency Overlap

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have a single-surface mesh with an alpha of 0.5. From certain angles, it's possible to see overlapping triangles. Is there any way to avoid this?

Note the brighter triangle on the left side of the image which would be obscured if the mesh was not translucent.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#2]
The only way I can think of to do this is to render the object as normal with no alpha. Then, copy the render to a texture (with alpha or use mask). Apply the texture to a quad/sprite, and alpha that.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#3]
That would be my answer as well. I can't think of any other way to do it.

Your other option is to make the object two sided. That would look better at least. It would look more like a crystal.

To do that, make a copy of the mesh, then flip it, and then add it to the original mesh. This could end up giving you two surfaces though, so you might need a custom function to duplicate all the polygons with the vertex order reversed.

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks! So I'm not crazy after all. I'll try the double-sided idea, I can imagine that looking rather good.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#5]
You might actually need to make the inside sides first, and then add the outside sides to the mesh. Because the polygons will be drawn in the order they appear in the surface, and you want the polygons that will be behnd the outside polygons to be drawn first, or else you will get odd looking results.