Emergency concerning my video card!!!!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Emergency concerning my video card!!!!

W(Posted 2005) [#1]
Guys im really getting frustrated with Blitz. I upgraded my video card on the computer I use for programming. And it was a crappy G-Force 2, but I put in a G-Force Nx 6600. Anyways now only the roof textures in my FPS can be seen. I have checked all the file pathways, and the programming is fine. Yet still, Blitz won't display my textures anymore. I really need some help ASAP on this one guys!!!!

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
Update your graphics drivers? Or, try rolling them back? It's def a driver problem, and probably not blitz's

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yup, 100% driver bug if everything worked well before 3D-card switch.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#4]
W,

You should also note that any drivers you install should be from the graphics card manufacturers and not just nVidia's generic drivers.

Example:

If it is an MSI graphics Card featuring the nVidia chipset, then you should really consider downloading the latest drivers from MSI website not nVidias.

If it is a Creative card, get the drivers from them.

IPete2.

DH(Posted 2005) [#5]
I dont know... I have a customer that is having an issue with a 6800 with updated drives and what not....

I dont think it is drivers, but its hard to say its blitz either since it works on everything outside of the 6XXX series.. Perhaps its a video card issue with the 6XXX series?

W(Posted 2005) [#6]
So what kind of Video Cards are not compatible with Blitz 3-D??

NobodyInParticular(Posted 2005) [#7]
It's the video card itself that is causing the problems, the 6xxx series of cards apparently can only use textures that are sized ^2. I had simular problems after getting my 6600 card, but those issues were fixed in v1.88 of Blitz3D. I only get errors with older .EXEs compiled with a pre v1.88 of Blitz3d...

VP(Posted 2005) [#8]
nVidia drivers themselves have abstracted away the size^2 'issue', regardless of the card being used.

I would like to see some code demonstrating the problem.

IPete2: Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. The only differene between nVidias generic drivers and OEM's are that the OEM versions have OEM branding (in most cases) and perhaps a few value-added features. MSI have DOT (dynamic overclocking technology) which is fairly useless if you enable coolbits anyway. The basic operation of the drivers (i.e. how they tell the card to render 3D stuff) is unchanged because the sourcecode is completely closed. Only the front-end to the drivers is available for OEM's to modify.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#9]
Ok, I guess I got used to reading manuals which told me that was the case...

IPete2.

NobodyInParticular(Posted 2005) [#10]
It is odd texture sizes in versions of Blitz3d before v1.88 that is causing the errors on the Geforce 6xxx cards. It was discussed in these 2 topics a little while back.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=52325
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=52904