ATI problem with FEAR - I didn't know this happens

Archives Forums/General Discussion/ATI problem with FEAR - I didn't know this happens

puki(Posted 2005) [#1]
I wasn't aware that graphics cards *knew* what game you were playing by updating their drivers with info relating to new games:

http://www.pcformat.co.uk/advertorial/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=37999&subsectionid=699&ord=840

EDIT:
Woops - I posted in the wrong place

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#2]
interesting.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#3]
Unfortunately, that's also how some graphics cards 'cheat' when detecting certain benchmark software, artificially inflating their ratings by cutting corners and ignoring certain 'slow' quality settings.

The downside of this is that real-world performance of a video card isn't necearily the same as their ranking in the major benchmark suites would indicate.

Eikon(Posted 2005) [#4]
It's Quack all over again.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#5]
"It's Quack all over again. " Is that a start of the art FPS game?

Eikon(Posted 2005) [#6]
They first discovered that ATI was optimizing by EXE name back in the day by renaming Quake to Quack. Just an old reference that I should've known no one would remember.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#7]
Great - so when I write a word-processing App named 'Counter-Strike Source' (for some odd reason), I'l be blessed with impressive 3D graphics! LOL

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2005) [#8]
Just goes to show that they'll do anything to try and get you to buy a specific gfx card.