Virus style 3d level editor...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Virus style 3d level editor...

hohde(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm interested about old style 3d games. Such as Virus, Conqueror, Zeewolf, Hunter, etc...If you know any related games/resources feel free to point them out. I already found the awesome Z-VIRUS by Stevie G.

Anyway, I think I should make a level editor. Old style terrain editor with the ability to import simple 3d models and later to add game objects. I really don't know where to start. Are there any tutorials or other handy resources for this kind of work? Things I definetly should know? The graphical style is completely new to me but I think I need to learn more about level editors in general as well.

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#2]
I believe the "level editor" for Z-Virus was a paint program; If you look at the LevelData directory, you'll see nothing but bmp "relief maps". The game (presumably) loads in the image for the correct map and creates a mesh for it, the brightness of each pixel denoting the altitude of the vertex. Certain colours (various shades of red) denote objects to be placed on the map, presumably at the same altitude as a neighbouring pixel.

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#3]
Octothorpe is right ... not quite a paint program .. more procedural. Here's the sourse ... very messy but did it's job .... I used the red color for heightmap, green for object type and blue for ground type ...

hohde(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks for that, Stevie. I'm having a lot of fun playing with your code :).

I guess a paint program could do the job. I'm not planning anything big. Still, it would be nice to add/move/delete objects in a 3d editor of some sort.

Any alternative ideas?