Some help on tools

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Some help on tools

joko229(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello all;

I am hoping for some general direction. After over 30 years in Corporate IT and I am going to retire next year and I have decided to write a game. The game I have designed is a puzzle adventure based on one of my favorite periods of history. That way I get to indulge two interests at once.

I have looked at all the engines available and think I’ve decided on Blitz, and since I’m not an artist I intend to purchase the content from sites like Turbosquid or Renderosity.

I don’t really care if the game requires the latest video cards but I do care that it looks good and I’m lost on what Blitz can support in the way of character models. The ones that I think are good enough, range from a minimum of 2,000 and up to 5,000 polygons. I don’t know if that is feasible for the Blitz b3d format or what tools would be best for producing them.

I’m looking at Gamespace to knit it all together and I have settled on an optical motion capture system for character animation.
I need a little help on rigging options; Gamespace doesn’t seem to import BVH motion capture files and Max looks like it would take a lot of work to learn - I’m looking for some fun, not a new profession. I came across an interesting program called FragMOTION that will import BVH but I don’t know if it is a game quality tool or will support the higher polygon models. There is tool from Greenbriar Studios called Toolbox III that looks like it will do what I want, but it doesn't seem to support B3D.

Programming the game logic will be no problem. I have cycled through at least a dozen languages so far. I’m looking for tools for building the game graphics that are easy to learn and use. This is something that I want to show my kids (adult children) shortly after I retire and I am really committed to getting it done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Joko
(Name withheld for a few more months)

puki(Posted 2005) [#2]
Welcome to Blitz "joko229".

"Beaker" is a great fan of fragMOTION - when he spots this thread, he may have some opinion for you. As far as I can tell he really rates it and we have included it in the Toolbox section: http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?cat=6.

There are 3 other products there too.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2005) [#3]
Well depends how good, how much money, and how much time.

Free: Blender, export to .3ds
Okay: Milkshape3D, either .3ds or .b3d
Best: 3DStudio Max.

Engines are tricky and require a lot of shoping to find the one you want.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#4]
If you have a tool that can produce nice animations, then don't worry about the lack of B3D support. Simply get UltimateUnwrap3D to convert the animations to the .B3D format.