Transparent textures on Polygons

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Transparent textures on Polygons

earok(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi there,

I've been unsuccessfully attemping to get transparent textures on Polygons working the same way they do on Sprites (for example, an infinite plane with visable clouds but the rest is transparent)

Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Chad(Posted 2005) [#2]
Well, personally, if I want something to be transparent in the modelling tool I use Milkshape3d, I just switch the faces around so they appear black in Milkshape's Render, then, in Blitz they appear to be invisible..

Also, on my earlier post about the ladder, I was having difficulties with climbing up the ladder, so in Milkshape3d I loaded up the model, and put a box around it and scaled it so it was a tight fit but slightly larger than the ladder, then I created a new material and assigned it to the box, and gave it transparency, so, it works :-D

Just my 2 cents worth, someone probably has a way better answer than that way.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#3]
You need to set the "alpha" flag at least...

http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/b3ddocs/command.php?name=LoadTexture&ref=3d_cat

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#4]
Chad- Im guessing this takes advantage of the 'Backface culling' properties of the Blitz render - all well and good, but if you vreated a window in a wall with this method, the window would be opaque the other side...

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#5]
Please tell us what you have unsuccessfully tried (eg. post some code.)

While this question is important beyond just one example, do note that transparent textures are not a good way to create a window in a wall. You would want to model an actual hole in your mesh.

earok(Posted 2005) [#6]
Ah, I worked it out, I feel like such an idiot, all I had to do was add the masked tag so that the black colour on the texture would be transparent. Thanks everyone