Hi Everyone :)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Hi Everyone :)

DAIGORO(Posted 2005) [#1]
i just want to say hello,im new here and it could be possible that i will bother you from time to time with questions about blitz3d.

i know how to model,texture and animate,im using lightwave,modo,zbrush and a lot more but i never wrote any code in my life.since a couple of weeks i have some ideas for a game,or lets say for three games,one game for kids,
one ego shooter based on the old ones(you know running around cleaning the place,a story like = save the world get the babe and have a nice day=)
and when i know how to make games i want to make an action adventure game(the reason why i want to learn programming)
blitz3d looked very interesting to me and i found a lot tutorials so i choosed to start with this engine.i hope i get done what i want.:)

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#2]
Welcome Daigoro,

You'll find this is a nice community - just post your questions, you should get some answers although they may not be all you want.

B3D is an excellent language and there have been many successful projects done in the language. You should check out the toolbox for ideas on which software to use for what purpose, and the code archives for those difficult bits of software.

Good luck and keep us informed in your progress.

IPete2.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hi DAIGORO. Welcome aboard - there seems to be quite a few new faces around here lately, which is good. :)

Ask as many questions as you like. Most people here are willing to help.

As you're new to programming, I would suggest you start with something VERY basic and work from the ground up. Put your game ideas on the back burner for now and spend lots of time just learning by asking questions and studying code examples.

Have fun!

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#4]
Welcome :o)

Moraldi(Posted 2005) [#5]
Welcome DAIGORO :)

DAIGORO(Posted 2005) [#6]
thanks everyone,i will start with the tutorials first and learn to make some pong games before i go to advanced stuff and i think then i will start to ask for help.:)

i also think about buying some more tools like giles and another modeler with a working direct x export,but im not sure,maybe i can use lightwave with and a converter or save my work as 3ds,not sure.wich format do you recommend,3ds,x or b3d?

here comes my first question=

i used to model everything in quads(4 sided polys)but for games the models are made of three sided polys,why?

i have alot to change,i also never liked modeling with booleans but i think for games i can do this and also modeling everything in tris,hehe.

thanks

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#7]
Hi, and welcome!

Your question: Even modellers that use quads (like LW) render them as triangles... quads are just neater way to show your meshes, but they are internally always triangulated.

I usually keep my meshes as quads and just only before exporting / converting triangulate them... and after exporting / converting undo the triangulation.

More info:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-12703.html

DAIGORO(Posted 2005) [#8]
thanks Mustang,i know,when i go in subpatch mode in lightwave and look at the wireframe in layout i see that everything is triangulated.so i model everything in quads like before,then triangulate it,make uvs,then the textures and save as 3ds.:)