About .maplet -->.b3d/.x

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/About .maplet -->.b3d/.x

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all experts and users,

I just get used to the easy interface of maplet to draw a room with balcony. Its file size (.maplet) is around 30kB.

However, we could not change the no. of side of a column (or tube) as anim8or. As a result, columns or tubes appear rough.
In order to increase details of a room, I draw a larger room (involved many grids) so that columns or tubes appear more fine and nice. Saving in .maplet is ok (file size is 700kB!). But, when I export to .b3d or .x, it seems that the export function is VERY VERY slow.

1.Could we use .maplet in blitz3d DIRECTLY without export to .b3d (or .x)?
2.If we must export to .b3d or .x, are there any faster program that can export to .b3d (or .x)?
3.Should I use DeletD or milkshape to draw a room with finer details?

My PC: AMD 2200+, Geforce FX-5200, 512MB RAM, 60GB harddisk

Thanks in advance.
Sammy

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#2]
I prefer other tools for modeling levels, but note that you're not going to find anything else with quite the same interface, and that's what you say you like about maplet.

Now I'm guessing the specific part of working with maplet which you like is the CSG, and there are other tools that do that too. I haven't used it so I can't really recommend it, but halo's tool may be something to look at. If you scroll down on the front page there's a bit about 3D World Studio, the tool he sells. Or look in the toolbox for Cartography Shop; that's his old software, the listing of which directs you to his site.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
I prefer to use a free set of tools. I stopped adding columns in maplet because it will fragment the floor ina wasteful way IMHO.
What I do is:

I have a set of simple shapes like cubes, columns (with and without caps), furniture etc., made with any modeler like Anim8or etc.

I model the rough building with Maplet, export it as B3D

Then I add colums and other fine details in Slim Shady. Then I export it as B3D and add Textures with Decorator.

It was said already, if you want the columns to look smooth (not flat shaded) then the cheapest lightmapper that is capable of smoothing may be Gile[s]. Other lightmappers like Maplet or Slim Shady force flatshading!