blitz3d and Maplet

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/blitz3d and Maplet

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all,

I created a small house and export to .b3d format. When I netvigated it using the following codes, I found some problems (provided by Matty in another thread "blitz3d and milkshape3D"):

edit request by a friend - Sir Gak
graphics3d 800,600,0,2
camera=createcamera()
cameraspeed#=1.0
mesh=loadmesh("house.b3d")
if mesh=0 then runtimeerror("not a valid mesh file")
repeat
if keydown(200) then moveentity camera,0,0,cameraspeed# ;forwards cursor
if keydown(208) then moveentity camera,0,0,-cameraspeed ;backwards cursor
if keydown(203) then turnentity camera,0,1,0 ;left cursor
if keydown(205) then turnentity camera,0,-1,0 ;right cursor
if keydown(30) then moveentity camera,0,cameraspeed,0 ;A for up
if keydown(44) then moveentity camera,0,-cameraspeed,0;Z for down

updateworld ;although there should be nothing to update in this example
renderworld
flip
until keydown(1)
freeentity mesh
freeentity camera
end

PROBLEMS: When I stand outside my house, the wall facing me seems to be disappeared and I could see through inside. However, if I stand inside my house, the wall appears. What is happening?

Thanks in advance.
Sammy

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#2]
It must be your (Maplet modeling) scale and CameraRange settings... your front clip plane is too far, probably because you have modeled your level so that it's "too small".

Try to experiment with CameraRange for starters, like changing the near value to 0.1

http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/b3ddocs/command.php?name=CameraRange&ref=3d_cat

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#3]
Is your 'wall' double sided? Polygons are usually only visible from one side.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hi WolRon,

When I drag the box with Carve mode, the wall created is single-sided. How to draw "double-sided" wall? With what mode?

Thanks in advance
Sammy

Matty(Posted 2005) [#5]
entityfx mesh,16 should fix it.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#6]
How to draw "double-sided" wall?
Carve the other side?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#7]
Hi Matty,

Yes, it works!
(entityf mesh, 16)

Thanks a lot
Sammy

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
Well EntityFX m,16 will make everything doublesided, not sure if this is useful.

When you want a house with solid walls in maplet, you should do it this way: Imagine in the first place the scene is entirely solid. You first have to carve a big block of air. Now you can build a house inside this block. Of course, for this "air-block" you should use the "invisible" texture, so you can use a skybox in the game.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#9]
EntityFx 16 is a good visual fudge, is there a way I can get the outsidewalls to be reconised for collision perposes?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#10]
that's exactly one of those reasons why ENtityFX 16 isn't a proper solution for this kind of problem. If you use Maplet, do it the way I discribed before. EntityFX 16 is good for some visual FX, but not for the map.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#11]
The way you decrided before, is ok, but it means that if you turn on collitions for the building (or what ever), then the skymap becomes a real physical entity, as apposed to a thoerecical thing infinite space away. Usualy this doesnt matter, (cos the walls are so far away), but I wanted to use maplet to make several buildings, and place these into a landscape. This would mean that I had loads of "Collidable" skyboxes everywhere.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#12]
Happy Sammy, just a friendly request, that when you post code, use the code commands:

[ code ] and [ /code ]

(but without the spaces).
:o)

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#13]
you should rather forgett maplet thats rubish!
use cartography shop or 3dworldStudio...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#14]
H&K - nope, whenever you are using the "invisible" Texture then there won't be collision / geometry!

Devils Child - you are not making any friends when you are insulting Mark Sibly for his free product Maplet, that is BTW. a great tool for its special purpose.

Imperative terms, instructing people to buy software of certain sellers, like halo, are rather unwelcome as well.

Personally I own Cartography Shop too, but honestly I never used it for some reason. 3Dworldstudio may be a good product, but it isn't for free.

I yet didn't see a playable level that was created with 3d world studio.

Watch my playable fps demos, all levels were created with Maplet. Several popular Game Papermags (eg. german "PC Action") released them on their coverdisks, I don't think they were so bad.

Of course, if you don't know how to use Maplet then you won't come up with anything good.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#15]
Especially since there is DeleD or Quark (both free), there is no real reason to go for a 100$ app, that can only be used up to 50% due to what it uses and supports and what B3D uses and supports.