Problem with PNG transparency

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Problem with PNG transparency

SkyCube(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to make a simple dialog box like those seen on old school RPGs. My game's dialogs will be displayed on this transparent, gray rectangle. It's actually a PNG image with transparency. However, when I use DrawImage to draw it to the screen, the transparency is not visible. Am I missing something?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
Images don't support alpha channel, only textures do. You may use one of the sprite libraries that are using sprites to emulate images, using the 3D Chip and therefor allow a lot of fancy stuff like blending modes, alpha transparency, scaling, rotation etc. with the speed of light.

There are some ready to use free solutions, right now I cannot find the links.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
Well this may help:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=456

solitaire(Posted 2005) [#4]
Nsprite works fine for me.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=35781

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#5]
The problem is, I cannot find a link to the free version of nsprite, version 1.3. Anyway, Sprite Control (my link) is pretty good too and pixelperfect.

SkyCube(Posted 2005) [#6]
JFK, I tried your link. I will definitely try out Sprite Control (it's free, right?).

Just for the record, I'd like to know, though, how can you make a sprite not rotate with the camera? I mean, I tried using a sprite with my "window" texture, but it was just there like any other 3d object. How can it be made so that those images always stay with the camera? Using Pivot entities?

solitaire(Posted 2005) [#7]
@jfk
I could upload the Free Version of nSprite 1.50,
but if it is not on the Homepage of the author,
i don't know if it is Freeware any longer.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
Skycube - Maybe you should parent it to the camera.

EntityParent sp,cam

(or was it ParentEntity? :° anyway, you'll see)

Solitaire - yes, he probably used to remove it for the sake of marketing the commercial version, so you better don't host it.