.3ds problems

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/.3ds problems

Q(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello, I have been messing around with all the mesh commands, and I can't seem to get a .3ds file to animate. Can someone show me a sample code of how to load some animations in a .3ds file? Thanks.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
Do .3ds files even support animation? I think I read that they don't... best wait 'til someone more knowledgeable comes along. :)

Q(Posted 2005) [#3]
I don't know anything about this really. :P

big10p(Posted 2005) [#4]
lol

jwe(Posted 2005) [#5]
3ds dont support bone animation.

Q(Posted 2005) [#6]
Um, ok. Can someone explain to a newbie how to get a 3D object into a Blitz program animated, like a character walking? Thanks.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#7]
There are lots of different types of animation. But, if you want a skinned/boned animation (that's one with a continous mesh - not seperate objects) then you must use the B3D file format.

You can use X files for an old fashioned seperated mesh animated character, but again I would try and do it using a B3D file.

You can animate parts of a 3DS file, but only using code to move the parts around.

Low cost tools to look at for B3D animation:
PaceMaker
Fragmotion
CharacterFX
MilkShape3D

Matty(Posted 2005) [#8]
Blitz also supports quake2 md2 models which animate and can be more useful than b3d models in some circumstances. Milkshape exports animated md2 models.

Q(Posted 2005) [#9]
I'll check into those programs mentioned above. Hmm, moving parts of a .3ds file with code sounds complex :S Is it?

Pongo(Posted 2005) [#10]
Just to clear things up a bit, you CAN have animation in a .3ds file, but it is limited to rigid body animation. (no bones/skin setup)

Make sure you use loadanimmesh instead of loadmesh also.