blitz3d and milkshape3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/blitz3d and milkshape3D

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all,

If we create a house with milkShape3D, how could we display it in Blitz3D so that we can move inside and outside the house as in milkshape3D?

Thanks in advance.
Sammy

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'm not sure i get the question. You would simply just load the house as a mesh, and set up some camera code to allow you to move the camera.

Matty(Posted 2005) [#3]
export house from milkshape as either a .b3d,.x,.3ds file named for example "house.b3d".

in your blitz code do something like this:

graphics3d 800,600,0,2
camera=createcamera()
cameraspeed#=1.0
mesh=loadmesh("house.b3d")
if mesh=0 then runtimeerror("not a valid mesh file")
repeat
if keydown(200) then moveentity camera,0,0,cameraspeed# ;forwards cursor
if keydown(208) then moveentity camera,0,0,-cameraspeed ;backwards cursor
if keydown(203) then turnentity camera,0,1,0 ;left cursor
if keydown(205) then turnentity camera,0,-1,0 ;right cursor
if keydown(30) then moveentity camera,0,cameraspeed,0 ;A for up
if keydown(44) then moveentity camera,0,-cameraspeed,0;Z for down

updateworld ;although there should be nothing to update in this example
renderworld
flip
until keydown(1)
freentity mesh
freeentity camera
end

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#4]
... you will also have to texture both the inside and outside of the model (I am guessing this is what you are querying.)

I don't use MS3D, but this probably means assigning a surface to the points twice... once clockwise and once anti-clockwise so they can be seen from 'in' and 'out'.

Apologies if I am talking out of my ar*e... ;-)

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hi all,

I would like to build a house as demonstrated in Mark's castle. We can stand outside and castle and can go inside the castle. (In MS3D, we could move around in rendering mode)

In the example bb prg of maplet , we could only move inside the house. If I change to load my house, sometimes the house raising and disappears. Only the green environment left.

Hey BlackJumper, as you mentioned, we have to assign texture to my house twice (inside and outside) in MS3D. Do you mean there are other 3D modelling tool only do it once?

Thanks in advance
Sammy

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#6]
You would be far better off using a proper level editor like 3d World Studio or Quill3d. Milkshape is not the best tool for buildings with interiors - it is possible just much harder.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#7]
You can do it in Maplet too, of course, although it's not an ideal solution for this type of work. CARVE a massive "working space" with the invisible texture, then FILL in textured walls as and where you please.

I would get to grips with DeleD if I were on a budget, though.

DQ(Posted 2005) [#8]
i used ms3d for years so i can tell ya that milkshape (at least as of the last version) did not do 'double sided faces'. if you wanted to have an interior as well as an exterior, you would need to model them separately. ms3d also isn't a csg modeller either. basically something like an "inside shell" and "outside shell" to the model would be needed and then texture them both.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#9]

basically something like an "inside shell" and "outside shell" to the model would be needed and then texture them both.

Or disable backface culling in Blitz with EntityFx.

DQ(Posted 2005) [#10]
if u disabled backface culling wouldn't it just display a blank face? he wants an actual textured interior.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#11]

if u disabled backface culling wouldn't it just display a blank face?

Nah, you get the texture that's on the front face. The real concession is that the walls will have no depth, which will look odd.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#12]
Hi all,

1. Is "3d World Studio" worth buying(it mentions many features)?
2. Is it easy to use and much better than "maplet"?
3. Does it support animation?
4. Does anyone SERIOULY use "3d World Studio" in their projects and what do they think? (Time and learning curve)

Thanks in advance.
Sammy