Spherical Sky Beauty???

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Spherical Sky Beauty???

W(Posted 2005) [#1]
Alright guys I got another question 4 ya. I have established a sky through flipping a sphere and scaling it around my level. I have applied some textures and lighting but it seems to still be lacking can any of you guys drop me a few hints or tips??

Here's some of the coding I used
----------------------------------------------------------
;load a sky
Global air = LoadTexture("C:\Game\sky.bmp")
Global sky = CreateSphere()
PositionEntity sky,0,-95,0
TurnEntity sky,0,0,90
ScaleEntity sky,500,500,500
FlipMesh sky
ScaleTexture air,1.5,1.5
EntityTexture sky,air

;the clouds
Global cloudy = LoadTexture("C:\Game\clouds.jpg")
Global clouds = CreateSphere()
PositionEntity clouds,0,-95,0
TurnEntity clouds,0,0,90
ScaleEntity clouds,450,450,450
FlipMesh clouds
ScaleTexture cloudy,1.5,1.5
EntityTexture clouds,cloudy
EntityAlpha clouds,.40

;establigh my lighting
Global light = CreateLight((1),(sky))

-----------------------------------------------

-Like I said guys any help is appreciated!!

W(Posted 2005) [#2]
I forgot to post that I am slowly turning the entity's using this code:

Function Sky()
TurnEntity sky,0,.005,0
TurnEntity clouds,.005,0,0
End Function

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#3]
Spheres use a lot of polygons that quite frankly you don't need. Do a search for 'skybox'es and you will see how using a cube is a much easier and faster solution.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#4]
Easier, yes, faster, not really.

W(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks but could you be a little more specific as to where to search for skyboxes?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#6]
Don't you need to make sky boxes/spheres 'fullbright' to stop them revealing their geometry? I dunno - never used one myself. :)

W(Posted 2005) [#7]
What does fullbright mean exactly?? I am still pretty new to the 3-d scene

big10p(Posted 2005) [#8]
EntityFx entity,1

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#9]
Fullbright means that all the triangles are drawn without any regards to lighting - they're all fully lit. Try it with an untextured primitive such as a cube and you won't be able to see which side is which because they'll all be the same exact colour and brightness.

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#10]
Psionic used to have some free skyboxes to download, but they aren't available anymore. Pity. The actual sky textures are easy enough to generate (below is a tutorial on how to create the images using Terragen,) but his samples also had code.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Creating_a_2D_skybox_with_Terragen

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#11]
There's a function to generate a skybox in the Castle Demo. Some generously donated replacement textures can be found here.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#12]
Check this tutorial (.zips in the end are broken though):

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/articles/show_article.pl?f=gametracer04092002.html

DQ(Posted 2005) [#13]
would this work as well??
create a skybox w/ mountain terrain but w/ no sky (instead apply a color used for masking/alpha) and then create a skybox/sphere behind that that you could then rotate.
that way you could have a nice rotating sky, but w/out ur mountains rotating as well.
i'd try this out myself right now, but i'm at work.. it'll have to wait til i get home.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#14]
Yeah, you can do similar with water (especially useful as static waves look daft).