FPS code for use with VWAIT FLIP FALSE

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/FPS code for use with VWAIT FLIP FALSE

Dax Trajero(Posted 2005) [#1]
Can someone point me to some code to show me a FPS counter when using VWAIT FLIP FALSE ?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
the code remains the same, althought your rate will be limited to the vsync rate, of course. Simply add this somewhere in your mainloop:

old_t=t
t=millisecs()
frametime#=t-old_t
fps#=1000.0/frametime

You may calculate the average fps over 30 or so frames.

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#3]
Dont know if this helps, it was adapted from a limit idea i found ages ago in the codearcs and rewritten to add fps details etc.
its what i use when im not using the render tweening. It basically mesures cycles per second (which if no tween is used, is FPS)
It also limits the framecount to a set value so a fast machine will not go higher than the maximum FPS. Try loading this code up with some time consuming maths and you will see the FPS (as long as its less than 30) change accordingly otherwise it will remain stable at 30ish

init_FPSlimit(30)

repeat
    ;get program cycles per second
    fps=limitfps()
    text 10,10,str(fps)
    vwait()
    flip()
until keyhit(1)

Here are the functions you need
Global g_FRate,G_fpsbase ,G_framecount
Global G_ftime1,G_ftime2,G_ftime3,G_ftime4

Function init_FPSLimit(f)
	g_FRate=(1000/f)

G_ftime1 = MilliSecs() 
End Function

Function LimitFPS()
	G_ftime2 = MilliSecs() 
	G_ftime3 = G_ftime2 - G_ftime1 
	G_ftime4 = g_FRate - G_ftime3 
	Delay G_ftime4 
	G_ftime1 = MilliSecs() 

;count frames in 1 sec and return it (or you can read it by using FPScount at any time
	G_framecount=G_framecount+1
	If MilliSecs()>G_fpsbase+1000 G_fpsbase=MilliSecs():FPScount=G_framecount:G_framecount=0
	Return FPScount
End Function

Dax Trajero(Posted 2005) [#4]
cool - will give them a go

I seem to have framerate stability issues - sometimes framerate is fine, others things seem to slow down a periodically.

I've got an Athlon 2800 XP and am running internet browser in background, and a paint package.

Are there any implications when using VWAIT FLIP FALSE when running in a window ?

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#5]
flip false isnt a good thing if you have 2d over 3d. Why are you using flip false? Im not 100%sure what the implications are in a window.
for all my stuff i tend to use
vwait:flip
seems 2 work ok :)

Dax Trajero(Posted 2005) [#6]
Strange - FPS is shown to constantly switch between 62.5 & 58.5

Dax Trajero(Posted 2005) [#7]
I haven't got ANY 3D in at all - its all 2D. I'm just using Blitz3D cos thats the package I bought.

Question - when running a Blitz3D application fullscreen, is everyone's CPU utilisation at 100% like mine is ?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
with flip false it will run "as fast as it gets" on all machines.
You need to pause the game to give reseouces back to the OS. Typically you would vsync the game. Since the machine waits for the next sync, you would already give it as much back as the game doesn't utilize with the current framerate. You can try both:

while keydown(1)=0
 vwait
 flip 0
wend

and
while keydown(1)=0
 flip 0
wend

or you could even try:
while keydown(1)=0
 delay 200
 vwait
 flip 0
wend

but of course, a framerate of 4 fps is kind of low.

you should see the diffrence now. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong :) although I thought I know this stuff )

big10p(Posted 2005) [#9]
For 2D, I use "vwait:flip false" in conjuction with a timer set to the desired FPS rate. If the FPS doesn't divide into the monitor's refresh rate exactly then things aren't 100% smooth but it's as good as it gets.

As for an FPS counter, I find it's much better if you only update the counter display once a second. This stops the counter constantly flashing between different values, making it hard to read.

Here's some template code showing both things:

Dax Trajero(Posted 2005) [#10]
thanks