Using Lightwave Textures

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Using Lightwave Textures

W(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi, everybody I am having a problem using textures from the Lightwave Version 8.0. I can load up the models but they appear textureless! Shouldn't they load up with the model? Please HELP!!
----------------------------
;some of my coding
----------------------------
;Walk around in my home-made level
Graphics3D 800,600,16,1
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

;call my world's model
Global level = LoadMesh("level.3ds")
PositionMesh level,0,-1,0

;establigh my lighting
Global light = CreateLight()

;my camera(characters view)
Global cam = CreateCamera()
PositionEntity cam,0,0,0
TurnEntity cam,0,-90,0

;My Main Loop
While Not KeyDown(1)

RenderWorld
UpdateWorld

CheckKeyboard() ;will move the camera

Flip
Wend

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think the textures need to be in the same folder as the mesh. if that's not working, its a good possiblity, lightwave isn't storing the UV's on the model. Why don't you get the lightwave convertor, and save it as a .b3d file?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/sdkspecs/sdkspecs.php

I think Lee Pages convertor is the most functional. Sorry if i'm wrong on that. A guy i'm working with uses it and it works perfect :o)

Danny(Posted 2005) [#3]
They not necesarily need to be in the same folder, but your textures have to be in the 'current' folder! So you can still seperate your models and textures if you want.

I have two texture folders which are identical except that one has lo-res and the other hi-res textures! So the user can choose (depending on how much memory on his graphics-board) if he wants lores or hires textures and you just ChangeDir() to either folder just before you load your model(s) that include the full pathname (ie. outside the texture folder)...

hope that makes sense..

Danny

Danny(Posted 2005) [#4]
By the way, I also export as 3ds file. easy peasy.
And you can use the basic mappings like plane, spherical, cylinder, uv, even cube-mapping, etc. No need to go b3d unless you want to use bones, etc.

puki(Posted 2005) [#5]
I would have thought they do have to be in the same folder - unless you are loading the textures separate in code (then it wouldn't matter).

"Scouse" ("Tom") uses Lightwave with Blitz so he might spot this thread and give an answer.

W(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'll have my team check out the advice thanks guys!!

W(Posted 2005) [#7]
By the way
Just curious does anyone know what UV stands for?

W(Posted 2005) [#8]

ratking(Posted 2005) [#9]
Coordinates, just like XY.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#10]
UuuuVaaavooo !

A coordinate system that was AFAIR invented by the scandinavian mathematician Ulrikakaka...

;-)

TeraBit(Posted 2005) [#11]
The LightWave convertor (in the Specs and Utils Section) works fine with LW8. You will need to add a texture to the model, then set the projection type to UV, then select the UV texture.

This should be mapped to the Color channel.

Let me know if you have any problems.

W(Posted 2005) [#12]
Thanks TeraBit,Wurst,Puki,Danny,Ross C

After your suggestions on UV's and file positions my team and I were able to get our textures to function properly!!!!!!

thanks for the assist !!
,Tony and the Team