Double texturing

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Double texturing

SkyCube(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello everyone,

Is it possible to use double-texturing in Blitz? If so, how is it done? I seem to remember a demo where this was done, but I can't seem to find it.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#2]
Each brush can be assigned 8 textures (0-7).

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#3]
Taken from the TextureBlend manual:
"The texture blend mode determines how the texture will blend with the texture or polygon which is 'below' it. Texture 0 will blend with the polygons of the entity it is applied to. Texture 1 will blend with texture 0. Texture 2 will blend with texture 1. And so on. "

The commands you need to set the different texture layers are, if you're using brushes, BrushTexture - http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/b3ddocs/command.php?name=BrushTexture&ref=3d_cat or if you're applying textures directly to entities, EntityTexture - http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/b3ddocs/command.php?name=EntityTexture&ref=3d_cat .

The last option, 0-7, indicates the layer number. Take note of this bit:
A little note about multitexturing and slowdown. Graphics cards support a maximum amount of textures per object, which can be used with very little, if any, slowdown. For most cards this is two, but for a GeForce3 it is four. However, once you use more than this amount, Blitz will emulate the effect itself by duplicating objects and textures. Obviously, this may then cause slowdown.

+BlackD

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#4]
...And do note that even GF3 is ancient crap these days... even my laptops crappy integrated (Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller) can do these:

Max Texture Blending Stages: 4
Fixed Function Textures In Single Pass: 4
Max Texture Coordinates: 8

VP(Posted 2005) [#5]
Heh, I remember paying over £300 for my GeForce 3 ninja-turbo-ultra :) I think it sold for £50 when I upgraded.

Anything of GeForce 4 class or above will show minimal performance degradation unless you go really overboard with the effects. It's VRAM bandwidth which takes the biggest hit if multiple render passes are required to generate a scene. Lowering screen-res speeds things up greatly (if needed).