Which IDE?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Which IDE?

VP(Posted 2005) [#1]
I understand there are replacement IDE's available for Blitz3D. Am I metaphorically tying one arm behind my back by not using one of them?

Blitz's IDE seems OK to me. I like any software which doesn't feel it needs an extensive preferences section.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
I find the default IDE fine. Other people are using IDE's which contain extras like declaring your variables before you can use them and such, so you can't just start using a variable half way through the main code. Other features are like notes and highlight, function folding and such. Look for one called protean and one called visual blitz.

There are others, i just can't remember the name of them :D

VP(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hmm, seems that other IDE's are acting very much like the early C compilers; enforcing correct and/or logical use of the language (before ANSI C existed).

Good idea I reckon. I tend to init stuff anyway in my code, but I'll give those 2 other IDE's a try tomorrow to see if they speed up or slow down my development.

Sleep beckons...

Warren(Posted 2005) [#4]
Am I metaphorically tying one arm behind my back by not using one of them?

How about having more than 1 level of undo? A magical land of productivity awaits you beyond the default IDE...

Protean.

VP(Posted 2005) [#5]
I'm trying out Visual Blitz at the moment. Seems nice.

** edit **

Getting along famously with Visual Blitz. Can highly recommend it.

Had a go with protean 1.3 and it crashed within 60 seconds of me trying it out. I also thought the layout of the environment was very poorly designed. It's obviously powerful and certainly is more 'project' integrated than Visual Blitz.

I'll try the latest version in a while and see if it's better. If I can't configure the layout, it could just end up in the recycle bin.

At least when it crashed, it did it gracefully ;)