PNG alpha texture glitch?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/PNG alpha texture glitch?

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello.
I'm using sprites with PNG textures with alpha channel and once in a while I'm getting small black likes on the edges of the sprite...
Is it my software (PaintShopPro 8.10), blitz3d or my graphics driver?
Anyone had similar problems?

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#2]
Flimmering?
That could be Z-ordering Issues...
discribe it more clearly

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#3]
No I have had this too,

Transparent pngs when used as sprites sometimes show edges. Try using a power of 2 size I think that might be
part of the problem.

so

64 x 64
128 x 128
256 x 128

you know the drill.

IPete2.

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#4]
No, that's not working...
i can't remember sprites doing that if they are just transparent pngs... Only if I use alpha-transparrency... Hmmm...

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#5]
Anatoly,

I'll go and check out a recently revived project of mine. It too was suffering from a problem of strange edges appearing where there was nothing.

I did fix it so I'll check out how.

In the meantiume is there anyway you can use a masked version instead?

IPete2.

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#6]
I guess I can, sprites will have more sharper edges, but it's alright - even though my game has lots of them and they are huge! ;-)

Pongo(Posted 2005) [#7]
Sounds like fringing to me. What does your color channel look like?

For example, if you wanted a green circle, the alpha channel would be black with a white circle, and the color channels would be solid green. If you have a green circle with black around it in your color channel, that black is getting pulled in by the filtering and showing up, creating a fringe.

Make sense?

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#8]
I agree with pongo. Use a more similar colour for the alphaed areas of the texture.

Yan(Posted 2005) [#9]
Clamp the UVs.