F.L.E. Landscape-Editor

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/F.L.E. Landscape-Editor

Max0403(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello,

the link to the F.L.E is down, has anyone the freeware landscape editor for download or a working link?

thx

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#2]
ok its not freeware, but its powerful and cheap
www.d-grafix.com/softwareted.html

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#3]
T.ED is almost free, and support is great. Has many time saving features, check it out, it's great stuff! I use it alot. Here is a T.ED Link:

http://www.d-grafix.com/softwareted.html

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#4]
Wait a minute, there are two FLEs, the original "Free Landscape Editor" that was open source, and then the "Fantastic Landscape Editor".

I remember I contributed some hours of work too. So I'd be glad to see a working link, I'd even offer to host the file.

I think it's a bit a shame that fle_compiled.zip cannot be found anywhere. Probably I'll find a copy on a backup the sooner or later, I'll let you know.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#5]
I couldn't find a copy of fle_compiled.zip, all I found was an older beta version:
http://www.melog.ch/dl/fle_rr4.zip
It is already useful, contains all sourcecode. It's a version that still saves two meshes for one terrain: one underlaying opaque mesh that should be used for collision detection and an additional mesh that contains all Alpha parts. This method is even faster in collision detection than the final release. Tho I am not sure what bugs are still inside. Check it out.

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#6]
jfk send me email, I'll check my archives.

Max0403(Posted 2005) [#7]
Thanks

can i load my own mesh in your prog?
i build trees and buildings in max and canīt place the stuff correctly on the terrain.
the next prob is the z-order with alphamaps, no way for this prob. i blend 2 textures for the terra with a grayscalemap ( readpixel - writepixel ) the blending looks good the alphamap for the trees looks bad... yes i have included the z-order code from this board ... frustrated.
BB3d is for a 100$ Prog really good, but the f.... alpha prob is the most prob for everyone (imho).
i know, general problem of the gfx-card.
PLEASE Mark give the community a small? update

sorry for my bad english

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#8]
if you are asking about ted, there will be support for some kind of props placement. as for importing terrains, you can import heightmaps for any bitrange and scale them.

On Alpha problems, if u are worried about the alpha z order problems, there are a few ways round this, check out the ted island and mountain demos on this page
http://www.d-grafix.com/softwareted.html
You will see that the trees have no problems with the terrain.
If u want to know the technique i used, email me and i will try and help out.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#9]
Alpha Problems are a FAQ thing. I'd suggest to use Masked Textures instead. Simply use a color other than black for the transparent parts (use the alpha channel, eg. with the TGA 32 Bit format). If the texture is big enough, it's gonna look pretty good, and no alpha random z-order frustration.

Use a terrain editor to paint the terrain, and a world editor to add everything together, buildings, furniture, terrain, plants etc.

AmazingJas(Posted 2005) [#10]
Did anyone ever track this down? Would really love to get one of the later versions?

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#11]
http://www.moondoggieent.com/downloads/fle.zip

FLE is plenty for putting together a little demo with terrain, but if you're going to do a lot of terrain for a game you'll want to buy TED or ALE.

Alpha Problems are a FAQ thing. I'd suggest to use Masked Textures instead. Simply use a color other than black for the transparent parts (use the alpha channel, eg. with the TGA 32 Bit format). If the texture is big enough, it's gonna look pretty good, and no alpha random z-order frustration.

A while ago Anthony Flack figured out an ingenius way to do smooth transaprency using the alpha channel but without z-order problems. He devised the technique to use for Cletus Clay. I don't have a demo handy but here are the relevant functions:
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; function for extracting the alpha
Function ReadAlpha(tex)

t=TextureBuffer(tex)
LockBuffer t

For y=0 To TextureHeight(tex)-1
	For x=0 To TextureWidth(tex)-1
		pix=ReadPixelFast(x,y,t)
		pix=(pix And $ff000000) Shr 24
		alphainfo(x,y)=pix
	Next
Next

UnlockBuffer t

End Function

; function for putting the alpha back on
Function WriteAlpha(tex)

t=TextureBuffer(tex)
LockBuffer t

For y=0 To TextureHeight(tex)-1
	For x=0 To TextureWidth(tex)-1
		pix=ReadPixelFast(x,y,t)
		pix=(pix And $ffffff) Or (alphainfo(x,y) Shl 24)
		WritePixelFast (x,y,pix,t)
	Next
Next

UnlockBuffer t

End Function

The functions are used like this:
texture=LoadTexture("image.png",1+2+16+32)
ReadAlpha(texture)
texture=LoadTexture("image.png",1+4+8+16+32)
WriteAlpha(texture)
EntityTexture mesh,texture

AmazingJas(Posted 2005) [#12]
Many thanks. I'm trying them all out now...the A.L.E. one seems to work best for me I think.

Thanks again. :)