best model tool for b3d ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/best model tool for b3d ?

BerndWill(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello,

for using b3d files in blitz programs:

a) What is the model and scene modelling tool of your choice ?
b) What tool do you use for model design and what format do you export them to (3ds, b3d ... etc.) ?
c) What tool do you use for animations, so that you can use model parts easily in blitz using the same names as given in the modeller) ?

Thanks for your opinions.

Bernd

puki(Posted 2005) [#2]
"BerndWill" - just to get you started (coz you posted an hour ago) a lot of people use Milkshape and Wings and will export to .b3d - Milkshape can export to .b3d. Not sure what they use for animations but, possibly, the same software. I know this from what people have previously posted.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#3]
The best is obviously 3DSMAX 7.5/8 as (obviously) it's 100% supported. It has it's own custom exporter which exports anims, scenes, bones, vertex weights, vertex colours, normals (smoothing groups) and all possible multitexture layers.

the plugin is on www.onigirl.com/pipeline but I don't think you can afford 3dsmax :)

puki(Posted 2005) [#4]
"Robert Cummings" I shall speak with your mother.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks er, david hasslehoff?

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#6]
I use Milkshape for modelling...

then do Uv Maps in Lithunwrap...

then animating is done with CharacterFX (if you don't want to spend this extra-money this can be done in Milkshape, too... but without Vertex-weighting, fragged animations'n all that stuff...)

I normally export to .x

BerndWill(Posted 2005) [#7]
and what about gamespace and truespace ? are those modelers comparable to 3dsmax (modelling, animations, tecture export etc.) ?

Thanks, Bernd

BerndWill(Posted 2005) [#8]
does someone have experience with carrara ? are you able to produce working b3d files with carrara (i.e. models, animations, textures ..) !?

Thanks, Bernd

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#9]
I believe Gamespace has a .b3d exporter. A couple of people had a few animation export troubles, but i think they got sorted.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#10]
There are some great tutorials from Buzz3D on how to model using GameSpace (links on the GameSpace site). I have Truespace 6.6, but recently downloaded GameSpaceLight (free - but only exports .X format) and am playing with creating low-poly models. The tutorials have got me to move away from using boolean combinations of primitives to extruding and tailoring mesh parts - much more efficient poly-wise. I haven't got as far as skinning or exporting yet, but it seems to be going well so far.

I have had a couple of crashes - usually when accidentally trying to add an edge to the wrong vertex (creating weird non-convex geometry), so saving regularly might have to be part of the workflow.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#11]
GameSpace is good, TrueSpace is better ;)
Now you can buy tS to very nice price.

/Alienforce

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#12]
TS has poor support for animated models, so if you buy something like TS or mondo, or use wings or another modeller it is worth investing in ultimate unwrap, as this is capable of converting and mapping many models.

Milkshape works with ultimate unwrap. You can also just make your own plugins.

Gord(Posted 2005) [#13]
I have Carrara 4. It is ok for modeling but not for saving animations in a blitz or x formats. You can use 3ds for all exept anims and then convert to b3d in Milkshape. You could also do this with Silo which is cheaper and better than Carrara for pure mesh modeling.

BerndWill(Posted 2005) [#14]
Hi Gord,

you said "3ds for all except anims...". SO what do you make animations with then ?

Thanks, Bernd

hola(Posted 2005) [#15]
deleted

Last edited 2011

Gord(Posted 2005) [#16]
Silo does not have animation functions, Carrara does but as far as I know the file format is not suitable for Blitz ( exept for 2d animations)

PowerPC603(Posted 2005) [#17]
Does anyone use Blender for creating models?
I downloaded the program and I'm reading/studying the tutorials, but is there a B3D exporter for this program?
I see several exporters, including .X, but no B3D.

BerndWill(Posted 2005) [#18]
Does blnder's .X export include animations and texturing as well ?

Thanks, Bernd

PowerPC603(Posted 2005) [#19]
Blender has a DirectX exporter and a DirectX8 exporter.
Before exporting, the program asks for exporting animation or only mesh-data for the .X fileformat.

And I tried to import them into Ultimate Unwrap and it works fine.
I also tried importing a .X file into B3D, which works fine also.

I've exported the default scene (which contains a cube) to .X with animations, and there are animation keys in the file, so animation is exported.

About textures, I'm not sure.
I only created an isosphere and exported that, but the .X file includes material-sections, so I guess it exports everything, including textures.

I did a test with a model, and the .X exporter exports all UV coords too.
I've modified my model's UV's, exported the model to .X, loaded the model in Blitz3D, applied a texture (the texture that I used in Blender as background to position the UV's) to the model and all works fine.

Once I've got UU3D registered, I can use that to convert my models to b3d, I guess.
Are B3D models bigger or smaller than .X files (for exactly the same model)?

Once you get used to the working principles of Blender, it's the next best thing after 3dsMax for me, and it's completely free.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#20]
Fragmotion for character work - animation (and some modelling). It imports/exports B3D, and is very inexpensive.

Unwrap3D for conversion and UV mapping.

gile[s] for lots of other stuff, including lightmapping.