Creating a 3d 'Net'

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Creating a 3d 'Net'

Durban(Posted 2005) [#1]
Morning fellas,

Just a quick question hopefully but me and '3d' don't get on too well.

I am busy creating a Net (Think Tennis, or football) in Milkshape.

Which is the better approach,

Create a Net where the strands are actual faces

or Create a net which is one solid face (on either side) with a texture to make it look like a net?

for the second suggestion is it possible to create the Net texture that is transparent (ie you can see thru the holes in the net from either side) or is this not possible?

Hopefully there is a standard approach to this. I presume creating the net using shapes (ie each strand of the net is a seperate box) could cause the net to use to many polys and thus could slow the game down, and bearing in mind the net isn't actually that important this wouldn't be suitable.

anyway no doubt people here will have the correct answer and I can get on with doing it the 'right way'

Cheers again,

Mark

Andy(Posted 2005) [#2]
>or Create a net which is one solid face (on either side)
>with a texture to make it look like a net?

This one would be easier.

>for the second suggestion is it possible to create the Net
>texture that is transparent (ie you can see thru the holes
>in the net from either side) or is this not possible?

Use png's they use alpha for transparency.

Artistically you could make vertices where the threads in the net meets. If you then match the texture to this, you can make all kinds of fun effects by simply moving the vertices in the net(wind etc.)

Andy

Durban(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks Andy, I was worried in case using a single face meant I could not have a see thru net.

However I also agree that having individual vertices would be nice for movement etc, although that isn't important for now and I guess I can always come back and amend it at a later date if its required.

Appreciate the quick reply :)

Mark

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#4]
How about tiling a number of sections of net made from single surface and then animating the texture applied ? Could give the best of both worlds ?

Durban(Posted 2005) [#5]
Its worth considering, I will try this out as I go along and see which gives the best effect whilst keeping resource low :)

Cheers Black