Books

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Books

Swefx(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've been having a fair bit of trouble getting into the swing of things with blitz3d and all the tutorials have been great but they leave alot to be desired. Are there any books that will teach me all the stuff I need to know? I've haven't been able to find any unfortunately but I have on blitzbasic so maybe I should learn all about blitzbasic and then it'll be very easy to move into blitz3d?

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#2]
Swefx,

Krylar, the nice chap from BlitzCoder, wrote a Blitz Basic book called "Learn to Program 2D Games in Blitz Basic" and it was available (and may still be) from Idigicon (I think) as a spiral bound book (check it out on Ebay - sounds daft but it may just be there)!

Other than that you'll have to dig deep into the code archives, there are plenty of extremely useful code snippets there - it's more like an archive for nuggets or gems - its a wonderful place to learn.

Good luck!

IPete2.

Swefx(Posted 2005) [#3]
So the code for blitzbasic and blitz3d are generally the same? Sorry im very new to BB.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well the syntax is very similar, but B3d has 3d functionality added, BB does not have 3d - er obviously.

For example:

Graphics 800,600,32

Graphics3d 800,600,32

Set up your graphics mode for BB (the first one) at 800x600x 32 bit colour. The second one does the same but with £d in mind.

Probably one of the most useful things to learn about is Types - these are awesomely powerful, and offer distinct advantages for those who employ their use.

Functions are also probably the most useful thing to get your head around in all cases/games/programmes - Try not to use gosub or goto - use a function instead (but don't forget to Global your variables first or strange results will occur).

IPete2.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#5]
Here's the link for that book

http://www.codersworkshop.com/viewproduct.php?id=11

IPete2.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#6]
Also check Game Programming for Teens.