Blitz3D Terrain is a resource hog

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz3D Terrain is a resource hog

FBEpyon(Posted 2005) [#1]
I was wondering if anyone has made a faster terrain system for blitz3d thats allows for bigger play areas w/ out using up system resource.

Also is there a mouse code for lockin onto the vertx point of the terrain so that I can contorl the heights for my world editor. Which is going to be used for my new RPG im planning.

Anyone that may reply to this post please, give much detail as you can.

*(Posted 2005) [#2]
to do the vertex position I would use CameraProject then work out if there is a vertex near the mouse coordinate you want and if there is select it and display it on screen :)

Rhyolite(Posted 2005) [#3]
For larger terrain, I expect you would need a tiling system.

Rhy :)

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#4]
Try not to use blitz terrains, as the LOD system causes the mesh to be rebuilt every frame. Be as well just using a higher poly terrain me thinks.

puki(Posted 2005) [#5]
The first line of your post is technically a question which prompts the answer 'yes, look in the Toolbox section of the site'. Although, I'm not sure about the resource hit with the various systems

However, you've been around a while so I assume you already know about the stuff in the Toolbox section, so I'm just mentioning it.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yes... most Blitz3D programs are resource hogs...

doctorskully(Posted 2005) [#7]
To edit terrains, I once used CameraPick() along with TFormPoint() to find the x & z coordinates on the terrain, then you can edit its height from there. For your resource problem, maybe you can split up the terrain into smaller sections, and the farther you are from each section the less detail there is to it. I know that detail control is what Blitz does already, but more importantly, splitting up terrains means areas behind the camera aren't rebuilt every frame.