Learning To Code

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Learning To Code

Yoshi(Posted 2005) [#1]
Anyone got any advice on how I can learn to code in this language without buying a book? I mean I kind of get the tutorial (It somtimes throws me off) but anyone got a good solution to my problem. Im looking for a nice way of learning.

DH(Posted 2005) [#2]
Im looking for a nice way of learning.

Start small and grow by challenging your self a bit more each time...

Aside from reading a book or posting here, thats pretty much all you can do.

SamIAm(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yoshi - Look through the "Blitz3D Tutorials" section. You'll find some good tut's that can get you started (if you haven't already tried them). Also, the sample code that comes with B3D can help as well.

And...like Dark Half mentioned, start with simple things.

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#4]
I would load up the easier examples from the samples folder, and run them.. then you change small things in the code and see what happens.

This is how I learned programming on my own with DOS and QBasic.

EDIT: typo

Andy(Posted 2005) [#5]
Start by looking at the examples that come with B3D. Start by doing 2D and then advance into 3D.

A very important thing to learn is that simple beats complex almost every time.

Often you find yourself stuck and not knowing how to proceed. Just relax and put the problem away for a few days. It's very likly that your subconscious will solve the problem for you.

Often problem solving is a question of how you view the problem. It helps to reduce the problem to it's smallest components. list the things which needs to be in your main loop and then think long and har about whether or not, they actually need to be done 60 times a second. If not, then you should propably put them in a function and only call them once in a while.

The biggest problem is likely to be motivation. If you are anything like me and many others, you'll go through projects, like you go through clean underwear. Try to return to your old projects even if you don't feel like it.

Other than that, have fun. You may not believe it, but programming is fun and develops your analytical side. It also teaches you programming concepts which will enable you to pick up other programming languages faster.

Andy

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
It also depends on your experience in computer programming in general. If you already know about loops, conditions, functions, arrays, variables, operators etc. then you can begin to code some stuff and seek for the blitz equivalent commands one by one. If you're new to programming, you first need to learn how simple programs are structured.

Here's also a list of some tutorials:
http://www.blitzcoder.com/articles.shtml

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#7]
If it's of any use, you can check out my (incomplete) programming tutorial...