MMORPG

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/MMORPG

Yoshi(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is it possible to create a 2D mmorpg with BLITZ 3D?

Nicstt(Posted 2005) [#2]
Possible sure, advisable, depends on the type of game I would think.

Yoshi(Posted 2005) [#3]
Well im thinking like snes graphics except the spells and stuff are 3D looking.

I want it to be an RPG Based on statistics like
Strength
Health
Mana
Defense
Agility
Ect.

Also wondering if instancing is possible.

Also im wondering if theres and Good detailed tuts that could help me on making an online game,or games in gereral that I dont have to pay money for (AKA) A book.

The r0nin(Posted 2005) [#4]
Just a word of advice: if this is your first game, start small. Create a tactical or real-time RPG (a relatively simple one). Then try a simple server-client game (asteroids by remote, etc.). Then start thinking bigger.

If you try to swallow the whole apple at once, you'll choke on it. Eat little bits at a time.

BTW, what kind of tools are you going to make for your game? That would be the place to start. For example, I'm coding a 2D game in BlitzMax right now (a tactical RPG with a scrolling tilemap). First thing I had to make (other than a GUI, seeing as how BlitzMax doesn't have one yet) was a map editor to allow me to draw the maps first, and to figure out how I was going to save and load them, and interact with them. How can you code your game to save or load your maps if you haven't decided what format to use for the maps (and don't have examples to try it on)? That's where I would start, with the tools like map editors that will make writing the rest of your game easier, etc. You could use third-party tools, but what are you going to learn from that that will help you on your big game?

Seriously, though, if you don't have a lot of coding experience, strip out one or two of the "cool" ideas you have for your MMORPG and make a mini-game based on them. If you can do that a couple of times, you'll have all of the components you need for your full game (and you'll be very surprised at the problems you never imagined you would have)...

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#5]
BlitzPlus is highly advisable for the server, C++ is the best option though.

Nicstt(Posted 2005) [#6]
do a search on mmorpg not sure which section, try b3d not beginner, its been discussed, so may be some help there.

agree with The r0nin, start simple, blitz+ better for 2d also, but no reason why b3d couldnt handle what you want. Maybe Delphi for the server side if u dont fancy c++, no idea if its capable, just a suggestion as its a powerful language and easier to get to grips with than c++.

ozak(Posted 2005) [#7]
I always wondered why you guys always recommend BlitzPlus for the server? Isn't it the same as Blitz3D in 2D DirectDraw mode. Or can it run GDI based? (In which case it would'nt tax the system so much)

Yoshi(Posted 2005) [#8]
The thing is I have alot of coding experience in a different language (DM) So i've coded several games.
I already have graphics in paint form so far so its pretty good. What I want is to make it overhead view with some 3D elements like spells,showing the damage in a fancy way and such.

Your advice is very welcomed and Im happy to have you guys here right now because im clueless.

The r0nin(Posted 2005) [#9]
I would still go with tech-demos and app tools to start. In other words, figure out what things have to be done in order for your game to work (2d map, 3d effects, network updates, etc.) and code a modular example for each of them (modular, so you can use the code later if it works the way you want.) Then you are not so much coding a game as you are building a game out of pieces you already know work...

ozak(Posted 2005) [#10]
Actually it can be counter-productive doing modules.
You spend all the time doing engine stuff, instead of coding nd having fun :)

For large products modules is a must, but for a beginners first game you don't have too. Just remember what you learned in your previous project, when the time comes to do the next :)

cr(Posted 2005) [#11]

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#12]
Because it's more easy in 2d. Because 3d would be rudimentary in this project. Because he's not you. Because he REALISES he still has to learn much stuff. And he KNOWS what programming is.

ozak(Posted 2005) [#13]
Always start in 2D. Actually in some cases you can later raise your 2D maps etc. in 3D for an old school RPG effect :)

Andy(Posted 2005) [#14]
>Nicoust<

Couldn't you trim that signature a bit. 9 lines seems excessive.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/faq/faq_entry.php?id=10

Andy

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#15]
Yoshi,

I've been struggling to develop a hi-performance multiplayer FPS game engine with Blitz3D for the past 3 years. Although, Blitz is totally capable of creating FPS in 2 days, it can get just as complex as MMORPG in design if your making a networked multiplayer.

By the time I was finished adding features the game designed had morphed into a humongous beast. So I've been forced to break the Project into much smaller independent projects in order to get anything accomplished.

So take heed to the r0nin's advice. I would also add to the list a 'game design and development plan' of some sort. It will help you identify the tools and code needed to make the game.

You will have a variety of editors for interactivity, placement, logic, particles, tiles, etc. Editors will need a GUI. Your game and tools can use the same GUI. In fact you will find that you can build the game engine and editor along sides of each other for real-time design & test, thus sharing the same code libraries saving time.

If your gonna go 3D... go completely 3D! That means use 3D sprites and flat meshes, NO 2D image commands. I ran into some serious performance problems when I mix blitz 2D commands with 3D. Its requires more work to implement, but the performance results are well worth it!

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#16]

Actually it can be counter-productive doing modules.
You spend all the time doing engine stuff, instead of coding nd having fun :)

Tell me 'bout it....

BerndWill(Posted 2005) [#17]
@Frank Taylor:

Since you are working on that stuff since 3 years including a lot of experience:
Could you please describe your tool collection, that you are using for the pipeline process now (editors, placement tool, logic, partiecles, tiles etc.) ? Which one are standard products (e.g. modelling will probably be a standard tool), while others are self made (maybe "logic" could be your own development) ?

Thanks, Bernd

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#18]
BerndWill,

I'm actually developing tools now. Specifically, PersistentWorld3D (See Blitz3D Open Dev Projects link below) a 3D editor for Project PLASMA FPS. PersistentWorld needs a 3D GUI which is now the current project MAUI.

There are plenty of tools in the Blitz ToolBox, but, unfortunately my budget is extremely low. Besides, I'm improving my programming skills with each project.

Utimately my design doc guides me in selecting tools.

CodeD(Posted 2005) [#19]
there are many full-fledged 2d mmorpg engines out there, fully customizable. Although, I can't fairly remember any of their names i remember working with a few. As always google is our friend, try free 2d mmorpg engine source code
that should get you on the right track