Runtime Error "Out of Data"

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Runtime Error "Out of Data"

OzBlitzManic(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi All, I am a noobie to Blitz3D. I'm not actually using the 3D components yet as I'm trying to wrap my head around 2D games still. Anyway, I've got a problem. I'm Trying to create a maze game using a single wall bitmap and data statements. The code appears to generate the maze, but also a dialogue box "Out of Data". Now being the newbie I am, I cant find the problem. I am trying to keep this maze code as simple as I can. Anyway, here is the source. Hope it comes up in those little code windows..... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

OzBlitzManic(Posted 2005) [#2]
sorry the code didnt work like I thought it would :-(

Matty(Posted 2005) [#3]
Use [ brackets instead of < to get it to appear in 'green'

Data statements read sequentially - so after your first loop the read statement is trying to read past the end of your data 'block' A better method would be to read the data before entering the loop and storing its results in an array, or a type, or a 2 dimensional array. Also check the 'restore' command which is also used with data.

OzBlitzManic(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks for all that Matty. I will go give what you said a try :-)

Cheers

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#5]
What are the forum codes?
Note that you can edit your posts by clicking on the Edit link at the top right of your posts.

Floyd(Posted 2005) [#6]
The code tries to read 15 rows of data when there are only 14.

Nicstt(Posted 2005) [#7]

For x = 15 To 480 Step 32

DrawImage gfxwall,x,y

its easier to debug if you do something like:
For x = 1 To 14

DrawImage gfxwall, x * 32, y

easier to see only 14 lines of data, then change the for x loop to x = 0 to 14

multiplying the loop variables, makes it easier to spot where the lack of data is
personal preference though.

OzBlitzManic(Posted 2005) [#8]
Thanks to everyone that posted and helped with this. I am still tweeking and poking things at Blitz Basic to see what I can do with it. So far I am really impressed. But unfortunately I dont currently have the programming knowledge to put everything together to make a game. But that will come with practice, practice and more practice.