Collision problem - when using animated entity

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Collision problem - when using animated entity

Kolasinski(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello,

I've got a little problem with chcecking collision between player and another object which was animated in 3D package.Problem is that collision doesn't work sometimes and sometimes does.
I know that is maybe because of the animation of entity which is written in b3d file and not animated by my code.But my question is:How will you solve this problem?
(Entity has got position and rotation animation)

Thanks

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#2]
You should post your code, or you will likly get responces that do not fit your situation.
Blitz has a problem detecting collisions between two moving entities. I have found that ellipsoid-to-box collisions work the best in these situations. And I double check like this...
Collisions src_type,dest_type,method,response
Collisions dest_type,src_type,method,response
For this to work both entities should have both an entityradius and an entitybox assigned.
That works well for non animated entities but I have not tried it for two animated, and moving entities.

Rhyolite(Posted 2005) [#3]
As mentioned, post your code where you assign the collision stuff to the animated model. Are you aware that animated entities have a heirarchic structure?

Rhy :)

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#4]
I suspect you've discovered how blitz's collisions are not too useful for 2 moving objects.
If both objects are moving and collide then the response is erratic...you can either code your own system or buy Nuclear Glory which works perfectly. Big fat bummer really -sorry.

I also think there is a free collision wrapper system floating around these forums somewhere..called ColDet I think.

Haven't used it though.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#5]
Blitz collisions do not work on animated objects. The collision will still be calculated against the 'base' frame (the one you created before adding animation).

And for the record, you'll get the same problem when using LinePick etc against animated entities.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
Blitz collisions do not work on animated objects. The collision will still be calculated against the 'base' frame (the one you created before adding animation).

And for the record, you'll get the same problem when using LinePick etc against animated entities.

This is not true for .3ds and .x animations. In that case you only need to collision-handle (or linepick) the animated meshes children, they are individual meshes and need individual collision setup.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#7]
You can do collision between two moving entities with multiple Updateworlds also, of course.