Shadow plane - which blend mode?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Shadow plane - which blend mode?

Cancerian(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi, I'm trying to create a simple shadow plane to sit beneath my player object. This is just the old-school shadow blob like the old Resident Evil games.

I've tried a dark gray circle on a black background, I've tried a black circle on a white background and neither one will blend to create the effect I want.

I just want the circular shadow to show and not the rest of the texture. The shadow has to be dark coloured. Any adice?

Thanks!

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#2]
Multiply blend.

Use a grey circle on a white background and blur it to buggery.

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#3]
The Texture should contain Alpha-Information, you can make parts of a picture transparent with Photoshop for example. If you just make a circle that is NOT totally black on totally black Background, that should work, too. Just Load the texture with the "masked" tag:
LoadTexture("picture.pic", 1+4)

Raitsun

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#4]
Or solve this problem in an intelligent manner and listen to what Rob says ^^

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#5]
I tend to use Multiply 2 (mode 5)*

*Edit: Mind you, that was for generating a shadowplane in realtime... I'll have to have a rummage as it's been a while and I never comment properly. Normal multiply should definately be useful to you, Multiply 2 simlpy blends so that color 128,128,128 has no effect and anything brighter lightens while any area less bright darkens. God only knows what I was up to.

Cancerian(Posted 2005) [#6]
I could have sworn I tried that before but gray blob on the white background works for me now.

I think I had blurred too much and turned the white edges into light grey because you used to be able to clearly see the edges of the shadow polygon. But as I said, it works perfectly now so thank-you all for your help!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#7]
I use the alpha channel of a 32 Bit TGA for the circle, where the RGB Channels are simply black. So I have to alphablend this this texture. Probably Multiply Blending is better, maybe it won't produce Alpha Z-order problems, as Alpha-Shadows usually do when there's more Alpha Stuff in the scene.